Have you stumbled upon an exotic quinoa porridge in a store? Read how it is useful and how to cook it.
Supporters of a healthy lifestyle are well aware that cereals made from cereals contain a large amount of healthy “slow” carbohydrates that are necessary for the human body to replenish energy costs. It is better to eat cereals and cereal dishes for breakfast or lunch.
Today, customers are available not only the good old and a little boring rice, buckwheat, oatmeal and millet, but also original couscous, bulgur and quinoa in name and taste. The latter, by the way, is considered one of the most useful cereals. You should learn more about its properties and application in cooking.
Quinoa groats: beneficial properties and harm
According to one of the American ratings, quinoa (quinua, quinoa, quinva) is among the top 20 most useful products for humans.
In fact, a plant from the Mari genus, the Amaranth family, is a pseudo-grain crop. Quinoa naturally grows in South America on the mountainsides. For a long time it is eaten.
IMPORTANT: It is known that for the ancient Incas, who called cereals "grain of gold", it was no less valuable than potatoes and maize. They baked bread from quinoa
Today quite successful attempts are made to cultivate quinoa in other geographical areas, which makes it possible to export cereals. Now it is on the shelves of large stores in Eastern Europe.
Outwardly, quinoa is a cross between buckwheat and corn, and it tastes most like wild rice.
Useful and flavoring properties of South American cereals are due to its nutritionally valuable composition. In 100 g quinoa:
- significant amount of vegetable protein - about 14, 1 g
- about the same amount of water
- 57 g carbohydrates
- 7 g fat
- 2.5 g of ash
- amino acids
- organic acids and their salts
IMPORTANT: The vitamin-mineral composition of quinoa is also rich. It includes vitamins of group B (1, 2, 3, 4 (choline), 5, 6, 9), vitamins A, C and E, potassium, sodium, calcium, manganese, selenium, iron, phosphorus, zinc, copper, other elements of the Mendeleev system
South American cereals are considered healthier than wheat, rice or barley. Its regular consumption has a beneficial effect on the state of the human body:
- It is known that protein is a material for building new cells by the body. It is especially important to consume it in the required amount for children, pregnant women and nursing mothers, athletes. There is more of this nutrient in quinoa than in buckwheat
- Thanks to the amino acid lysine, calcium from quinoa itself or other foods consumed by humans is absorbed better. His bones, teeth, hair and nails are getting stronger. Cereal intake - prevention of serious diseases of the musculoskeletal system, such as arthritis
- Fiber and complex carbohydrates in cereals make it the product that must necessarily be on the table for diabetics
- Potassium, iron, magnesium and selenium in quinoa are necessary for those suffering from cardiovascular diseases
- Magnesium and vitamins can also improve the condition of a person suffering from diseases of the nervous system
- The nutritional composition of cereals turns it into a universal restorative remedy
VIDEO: Quinoa - useful properties
Carbohydrate quinoa, if properly cooked and consumed, helps detoxify the body and lose weight. The “coals” contained in it are slow, they are completely absorbed by the body and are transformed into energy in the process of metabolism.
The energy value of cereals is 368 kcal per 100 g, which is not much more than buckwheat or wheat.
Is quinoa gluten free?
Gluten, or gluten, is a protein that is found in most cereals. For many people, it causes allergies. The negative manifestations of the use of gluten-containing products are also:
- drop in blood sugar
- metabolic disorders, in particular, the absorption of fats, vitamins and minerals
There is no gluten in quinoa, so its use will not cause such problems.
The moderately consumed quinoa cereal is not capable of causing harm. But eating her every day is not recommended, since it contains oxalic acid salts - oxolates. Their excess in the body leads to the formation of stones in the kidneys, gall and bladder.
How to cook quinoa? Quinoa porridge
Often a person who first encounters some exotic grits gets lost, not knowing how to cook it. They are interested in the proportion with water, cooking time, the need to add oil, seasonings, etc.
Cooking porridge from quinoa is easy:
- quinoa is recommended to ignite
- further, the cereals are washed
- it is better to soak it for 2 hours, then it will break better and get a milder taste
- quinoa and water are taken in a classic proportion of 1 to 2
- cook under a lid over low heat for a quarter of an hour
If the quinoa porridge is prepared for a side dish, it is boiled in water, salted and seasoned to taste, butter is added.
For breakfast, it’s delicious to cook quinoa in milk.
RECIPE: Quinoa with dried fruits and nuts in milk
Need: quinoa - 1 glass, milk - 1 glass, water - 1 glass (or two glasses of non-fat milk), raisins, dried apricots - 30 g, walnuts - 30 g, honey - 1 teaspoon
- Prepared quinoa is placed in a pan with cold milk, put the pan on a slow fire
- Bring to a boil and cook for another 15 minutes.
- Raisins and dried apricots are slightly softened in boiling water
- Chop nuts, finely chop dried apricots
- Add to the porridge. Honey is placed in a slightly cooled dish, just before serving
Nutritionists argue that protein quinoa is better to combine with vegetables than with meat, for example, as part of original salads.
RECIPE: Quinoa vegetable salad
Need: quinoa - 1 cup, water - 2 cups, cucumber - 2 pcs., Tomato - 2 pcs., Raisins - 30 g, green onions, lemon juice, olive oil, salt and seasoning to taste.
- Quinoa is cooked according to the standard scheme, let it cool
- Cut vegetables into thin half rings, onions into rings
- Raisins are scalded. Combine cereals, vegetables and raisins, season with a mixture of olive oil and lemon juice, salt and season
- Before serving, decorate with parsley, cilantro or mint leaves
Quinoa with Chicken
Fans of pilaf can try to prepare a lighter version of it with quinoa instead of rice and chicken instead of lamb.
RECIPE: Quinoa pilaf with chicken
Need: quinoa - 1 tbsp., Water - 2 tbsp., Chicken fillet - 0.5 kg, onions - 1 pc., Carrots - 1-2 pcs., Garlic - 4 cloves, tomatoes - 2 pcs., Seasoning for pilaf, cilantro, salt, pepper.
- Chicken fillet is cut into small cubes and fried for 3 minutes in a thick-walled cauldron for pilaf
- Add onion sliced in half rings, grated or carrots chopped into small strips, season
- After 2 minutes add blanched tomatoes and chopped garlic
- Next, pour pre-prepared quinoa, add 0.7 parts of water
- Cook over low heat for about 30 minutes
- If necessary, add the rest of the water. Sprinkle with herbs before serving
VIDEO: Porridge Quinoa with Chicken Breasts
Quinoa with mushrooms
South American cereal with mushrooms is tasty, but heavy. Such a variant of the male side dish.
RECIPE: Quinoa with mushroom dressing
Need: quinoa - 1 cup, water or mushroom broth - 2 cups, champignons - 300 g, onions - 1 pc., Salt, seasonings.
- Quinoa is prepared and boiled according to the scheme
- Mushrooms are washed, diced, onions washed, peeled and also diced
- Fry the mushrooms with onions for 5 minutes.
- Three minutes before the quinoa is cooked, add onion and mushroom dressing
- Salted and seasoned
South American cereal soup is a warm, nutritious meal for lunch. It can be boiled in meat or lean broth.
RECIPE: Quinoa Tomato Soup
Need: vegetable broth or water - 2 l, quinoa - o, 5 cups, tomatoes - 3 pcs, potatoes - 2 pcs., Onions - 1 pc., Carrots - 1 pc., Celery - 0.25 roots, garlic - 2 clove, greens, salt, pepper
- First of all, prepare quinoa cereal
- Next, peel and cut vegetables - in miniature cubes. Fry onion, celery and carrots in oil for 5 minutes
- Next, add the tomatoes, fry for another 3 minutes
- At this time, bring the water or broth to a boil, put the groats and cubes of potatoes there
- Cook for 15 minutes, then add the passivated vegetables. Cook another 10 minutes
- Before serving, add chopped parsley and squeezed garlic
VIDEO: Bean Soup with Quinoa and Spinach
Kinoa quinoa and shrimp are a very worthy seafood risotto. The dish is not ashamed to put on the festive table.
RECIPE: King prawn quinoa
Need: shrimp - 250 g, quinoa - 1 cup, onion - 1 pc., Garlic - 2 cloves, vegetable broth - 0.5 l., Lemon - 1 pc., Parsley, olive oil, salt and seasonings.
- Finely chopped onions and garlic are fried in olive oil, and calcined, washed and soaked kenoa are added to them. 2 minutes toast together
- After pouring the broth
- Cook for 20 minutes, or until the broth evaporates. Add greens to porridge
- Shrimps are fried in a separate pan with olive oil for 2-3 minutes
- When serving, spread porridge first, and then shrimp
Quinoa recipes in a slow cooker
In the multiquark, quinoa is cooked in the "Porridge" mode.
- You need to take two measured cups of cereal and 4-5 measured cups of water, 30 g of butter and salt to taste
- Pour the cereal into the slow cooker and first lightly fry it in the "Frying" or "Baking" mode, then add water and salt
- The timer is set for 15 minutes. Add oil before serving
Also in a slow cooker with quinoa you can cook:
- milk porridge
- analogues of risotto and pilaf
- dishes with vegetables
- other dishes
VIDEO: Milk porridge from quinoa in a slow cooker
Quinoa has a place to be in the diet of those who lose weight on a proper diet or protein-carbohydrate diet. Since the cereal is still carbohydrate and high in calories to lose weight, sitting on it, you need:
- eating quinoa is not every day
- consume it up to 100 g per day
- prepare cereals for breakfast or lunch
- do not combine cereals with animal fats
- follow other dietary and nutritional rules
IMPORTANT: Especially praised for quinoa are those who have chosen the paleo diet for themselves.