Snoring makes breathing difficult during sleep and often causes serious illnesses. By getting rid of snoring, you and your relatives can make life much easier.
Snoring is a sound process that occurs in a dream when air passes through the respiratory tract when inhaling or exhaling. Snoring is accompanied by an unpleasant loud low sound resembling an intermittent buzz.
The impact of snoring on life is not limited to spoiled relationships with close relatives who are forced to put up with an unpleasant phenomenon. Snoring may also be the first symptom of the development of sleep apnea - respiratory arrest in a dream. In this case, urgent medical intervention will be required to alleviate the condition and choose the best treatment.
What causes snoring?
Snoring can occur for a number of anatomical and functional reasons such as:
- septum curvature
- adenoids, polyps, glands
- malocclusion with deformity of the lower jaw
- elongated palatine tongue
- narrow nasal passages
- obesity, excessive fullness of the body
- alcohol intake, smoking
- menopause in women
- endocrine diseases
- very tired
- taking some sleeping pills
IMPORTANT: Some causes of snoring, such as drinking alcohol, smoking and fatigue, can be completely eliminated on your own. But if after this snoring has not disappeared, consult a doctor.
What is the danger of snoring?
- Snoring in itself is dangerous, except for the mood of relatives living under the same roof as the patient. But the fact that snoring can indicate the development of a serious disease should not be forgotten
- Snoring can cause brain microactivity during sleep, which prevents a person from resting and getting enough sleep. The next day, tiredness and drowsiness are felt due to the fact that the brain, disconnecting, tries to make up for the deficit of night sleep
- Another companion for snoring is sleep apnea. During the inhalation of air, the so-called "collapse" of the pharynx occurs. At this time, the air supply stops and breathing stops.
Diagnosis of snoring is carried out in the clinic. During the patient’s sleep, the doctor determines the causes of sleep disturbance through polysomnographic studies. It turns out that it became primary - a violation of the brain or respiratory system.
In a patient who is in a dream, they measure pressure, the frequency of heart beats per minute, the level of blood oxygen saturation, EEG. According to these parameters, the doctor makes a conclusion. Additional information is the results of an examination of ENT organs by an otolaryngologist.
Which doctor should i contact for snoring?
Those who decide to seek the help of a doctor need to know which specialist to entrust their problem with. First of all, you need to visit a local therapist or family doctor who will examine the patient, prescribe the necessary tests and write out directions to the ENT, dentist and somnologist.
An otolaryngologist is involved in the treatment of uncomplicated snoring. If snoring occurs due to problems with the jaw, the dentist will be your doctor. A somnologist may suggest trying to get rid of snoring with CPAP therapy.
CPAP (CPAP) -therapycarried out for the treatment of apnea by creating prolonged airway pressure using special equipment and eliminates the development of pathology, normalizing respiratory function. It is carried out independently, at home.
The apparatus for CPAP therapy is designed in such a way that the air flow is supplied to the respiratory organs at a special angle through the mask. Air is forced by the compressor.
Indications for CPAP therapy are:
- memory disorder
- drowsiness during daylight hours
- sleep apnea
IMPORTANT: After CPAP therapy, patients may experience skin irritation under the mask, eye irritation, a feeling of dryness in the nose and throat, and nasal congestion. At the very beginning of treatment, the heart rhythm may go astray.
CPAP therapy does not have common contraindications, but people with chronic lung diseases, acute eye infections, hypertension, heart failure, nosebleeds are at risk. CPAP is prescribed to such patients in extreme cases.
To get rid of snoring without medical help, you can use these tips:
- sleep with your head up - this will make breathing easier
- observe the daily routine - go to bed and wake up the sutra at one time
- get rid of bad habits - smoking provokes snoring
- replace feather pillows, do not allow pets to be in your bedroom - this will eliminate allergies to wool and feather
- do not sleep on your back - this pose is dangerous for people suffering from apnea
IMPORTANT: If your snoring causes concern to relatives, you are suffocated at night and do not feel rested in the morning, consult a doctor.
Snoring during pregnancy
Quite often, pregnant women notice the occurrence or intensification of snoring during sleep. Most expectant mothers have no reason to worry, as the cause of snoring was one or more of the changes that are natural to the body of a pregnant woman.
Swelling. The accumulation of fluid in the body necessary for the normal development of the fetus leads to swelling of the mucous membrane of the throat and nose, which is why snoring occurs.
Significant weight gain. During pregnancy, a woman can gain more than 20 kg in weight. Naturally, the accumulation and deposition of fat occurs in all organs and tissues. Fat in the neck area leads to the so-called narrowing of the throat, which is the cause of snoring.
Nasal congestion. More than 30% of pregnant women suffer from rhinitis throughout the term. This causes swelling of the nasal mucosa and snoring.
Increased progesterone hormone levels. Progesterone rises during pregnancy so the uterus relaxes. But not only the uterus relaxes, but also all the muscles in the body, including the muscles of the pharynx.
IMPORTANT: Normal snoring is not dangerous for pregnant women, but if it has caused sleep apnea, you should immediately consult a doctor. Otherwise, it is possible to develop defects in organs and systems in an unborn child who lacks oxygen in the mother’s womb.
Snoring in newborns
If the breathing of a newborn baby in a dream is accompanied by snoring, the cause of this phenomenon may be:
- Congenital adenoids. In rare cases, babies are born with enlarged tonsils, which interfere with normal breathing.
- Pathology of the structure of the sky, nasal septum. At the same time, restless sleep, frequent causeless awakenings join the snoring
- Allergy. A manifestation of an allergy is swelling of the nasopharynx, which prevents the baby from breathing through the nose.
- Runny nose, SARS, colds. When the baby’s nose is blocked, normal, quiet breathing becomes impossible. Once eliminating nasal congestion, you can achieve smooth nasal breathing without snoring.
- Narrow nasal passages. Anatomical feature of some children. Over time, they expand, and snoring disappears on its own
- Dried nose crusts. If the nose is not cleaned regularly, crusts may form in it, which impede normal breathing. Kids need to clean their nose with cotton flagella. Using cotton buds is highly undesirable
IMPORTANT: The normal nasal breathing of an infant can be considered one that does not interfere with the continuous suction of the breast or nipple. That is, the baby does not interrupt to take air in his mouth.
Severe snoring in women
The causes of snoring in women are:
- Overweight. It is noteworthy that the more women have extra pounds, the stronger will be snoring in a dream and the greater the risk of apnea
- Drinking alcohol or sedatives before bedtime. Alcohol and sleeping pills relax muscles, including those responsible for breathing.
- Chronic allergic rhinitis. Causes swelling of the mucosa, which prevents the normal passage of air
- Anatomical structure of the respiratory tractincluding a curved nasal septum, polyps that interfere with breathing through the nose
- Sleep on the back. In this position, the muscles of the pharynx relax, and therefore a vibrating loud sound
IMPORTANT: If the cause of the snoring is known, then no special medicine will be required. It will be enough just to fix the problem, and the snoring will disappear itself. If you do not even know about the root cause of snoring, you will have to consult a doctor.
Severe snoring in men
The causes of severe male snoring are the same as female snoring: obesity, allergies, drinking alcohol, improper sleeping position, twisted nasal septum, and sleeping pills can cause snoring.
Medicines and preparations for snoring
To help those people whose problem is snoring, medicine offers medicines and drugs with various effects.
Aerosol representatives of biologically active additives (BAA) from snoring are: Dr. Snore, Asnor, Silas. These preparations contain essential oils and glycerin, which soften and moisturize the dry mucous membrane of the nose. They do not have a therapeutic effect, but only relieve symptoms.
When the growth of palatine tonsils becomes the cause of snoring, doctors prescribe hormonal sprays (Avamis, Nasonex, Flixonase) Usually they have a noticeable effect, after a course of treatment there is a visible improvement. It is important to follow the dosage regimen, which the otolaryngologist prescribes individually for each patient, and the dosage of the drug.
Snorstop - pills for snoring on a plant basis. They include herbs: belladonna, yellow root, Dubrovnik. The drug is contraindicated in sleep apnea, alcohol abuse, insomnia.
IMPORTANT: None of the drugs can improve the quality of sleep and relieve snoring with apnea syndrome. In this case, CPAP therapy or special devices for the mouth will help.
The magnetic clip can effectively and safely solve the problem of snoring even in patients for whom medication is contraindicated due to sleep apnea syndrome. In addition, this simple device will help get rid of night grinding of teeth.
The clip is two magnets interconnected by an arc of hypoallergenic, non-toxic silicone. Magnets are placed during sleep in the nostrils, and the arc prevents them from falling out. The principle of the clip is microstimulation of the muscles of the larynx and nose, which allows you to expand the airways and eliminate snoring.
IMPORTANT: The use of magnets for snoring is contraindicated in children under two years of age, patients with pacemakers and similar devices, pregnant women and people with blood diseases.
In order to avoid the loss of magnets from the silicone handle, the use of oily nose drops that can soften silicone should be limited during use of the clip.
- The device, outwardly resembling a baby's pacifier, can change for the better the quality of sleep of 70% of people suffering from snoring. The principle of action of the nipples from snoring - fixing the tongue during sleep in a certain position
- The nipple consists of two parts - a fixative and a spoon for the tongue. Some models have an additional locking device located on the border of the teeth and lips.
- On sale there are domestic (Extra Lore) and foreign (Good morning snore solution) nipples for snoring
- The nipple is placed in the mouth, the tongue is inserted into the spoon. This action stretches the tongue, while straining the muscles of the larynx and nasopharynx. The first few days are training. The pacifier is used before bedtime for 20 to 30 minutes. Then the device can be left overnight. The visible effect of reducing or stopping snoring occurs 14 days after the first use
IMPORTANT: You can not use a nipple for snoring with nasal congestion and any other disorders of nasal breathing.
Dressing for snoring
Dressing "Anti-snoring"- another non-medical device that helps to defeat night snoring. The dressing is a dense fabric wide tape with cutouts for the ears and retainers in the back of the head. The dressing is universal in size and made of non-allergenic fabric.
The bandage is put on at night, its action is based on keeping the mouth closed during sleep. Since the mouth is constantly closed, air enters only through the nostrils, so the use of the device is unacceptable for people with any violation of nasal breathing.
Orthopedic pillow for snoring
If the cause of snoring is an incorrect sleeping position, namely, throwing your head back lying on your back, then the special orthopedic pillow "Anti-snoring" will help to fix the problem. It allows you to fix the neck and head in the correct position from the point of view of anatomy.
The pillow filler is a high-quality synthetic foam that can "remember" the most comfortable and at the same time safe position of the head and neck during sleep and take the necessary shape.
Surgical treatment of snoring is indicated for patients with excess soft tissue of the pharynx and an elongated palatine tongue. Surgical correction of their size is called uvulopalatoplasty. If glands or adenoids are removed during the operation, then this procedure will be called pharyngouvulopalatoplasty.
IMPORTANT: The surgical method is very effective, but most people suffering from snoring will be helped by other methods and surgery will not be required.
The operation is carried out by a laser. This method eliminates accidental injuries and provides an effect with minimal surgical intervention. During the operation, an artificial burn of excess tissue is performed. After healing, a dense scar forms in their place, which eventually contracts and eliminates sagging.
IMPORTANT: Surgical treatment of snoring is contraindicated in people suffering from attacks of sleep apnea with a holding of breath for more than 10 seconds.
Snoring and apnea
- Sleep disturbances, accompanied by snoring, in some cases cause respiratory delays - apnea. This phenomenon is a cessation of breathing in a dream for a period of 10 seconds to 2 to 3 minutes. Regular sleep apnea disrupts the quality and structure of sleep, fatigue and drowsiness appear during periods of wakefulness. People with apnea are at high risk for developing cardiovascular disease.
- Apnea develops due to a decrease in airway obstruction with an increase in inspiratory air pressure. When in the dream there is a complete relaxation of the pharyngeal muscles, favorable conditions for the maximum convergence of the opposite walls of the throat come. With their full contact, breathing stops
IMPORTANT: Each respiratory arrest in a dream is accompanied by a sharp jump in blood pressure, which in frequent cases leads to the development of hypertension.
You can determine your tendency to develop sleep apnea by answering questions from the list:
1. Relatives living with you have ever noted loud snoring and holding your breath in a dream
2. You have frequent urination at night
3. Your weight is much higher than normal
4. You experience drowsiness and fatigue while awake
5. You suffer from night attacks of suffocation
7. You suffer from a headache for some time after waking up
If you have received a positive answer to 3 or more questions, you should immediately consult a doctor.
Radio wave treatment for snoring reviews
A new harmless surgical treatment for snoring has been proposed by radio wave surgery. The method is based on the physical effect of radio emission on the tissues of the nasopharynx. During the operation, high-frequency waves "evaporate" the liquid from the problem cells without destroying the surrounding tissue.
IMPORTANT: The advantages of the method include minimal tissue damage, quick healing without scarring, quick recovery of the patient, and the absence of adverse reactions.
The operation is performed under local anesthesia and lasts about 20 minutes. During its holding, the patient does not feel any discomfort and does not feel pain.
Reviews of people who have undergone radiosurgical intervention:
Oksana, 43 years old: The operation was very quick and easy. I did not even have time to understand anything. In vain worried. I did not experience any pain during the operation or after it. The effect is amazing. Now I enjoy deep sleep and clean breathing.
Olga Viktorovna, 73 years old: I was afraid of surgery for a long time and I myself never would have dared to resort to it. But one night my breathing in a dream stopped for a long time. This was observed by the daughter-in-law, who was very scared for me. She found a clinic in which radiosurgery is performed, and recorded me for a consultation with a doctor. At the doctor’s appointment, they explained to me that this method poses no danger and is the fastest and most painless of all known. Indeed, the operation was easy for me. I did not notice any negative consequences. My sleep improved, relatives no longer notice snoring or respiratory arrest.
Eduard, 48 years old: My wife refused to sleep with me in the same bed because of my snoring and frequent respiratory arrest in a dream. She read somewhere about the radiosurgical method of getting rid of snoring and offered it to me. I did the operation, now I enjoy life.
Snoring Prevention System. Snoring exercises
The system for preventing snoring, in other words, prevention, consists in fulfilling several simple conditions for a healthy sleep:
- elimination of alcohol and tobacco before bedtime
- sleep on your side or stomach
- getting rid of extra pounds
- regular airing of the bedroom before going to bed
Also, in order to prevent snoring, it is recommended to regularly perform special exercises:
Exercise number 1. For the sky. It is performed with a closed mouth, with normal nasal breathing. With the tip of your tongue, try your best to reach your throat. Repeat 15 times. Repeat twice daily.
Exercise number 2. For the throat. With your mouth closed, push the entire surface of the tongue against the sky. Stay in the position you can. Repeat in the morning and evening.
Exercise number 3. For palatine tongue and pharynx. Sing the vowels "and" and "s". As often as possible and longer. In some cases, this exercise alone helps get rid of snoring.
Exercise number 4. For larynx and palatine muscles. Frequently whistle for a long time with his head held high and his shoulders spread wide. Whistle your favorite tunes for at least half an hour a day.
Exercise number 5. For pharyngeal and chewing muscles. Hold a pencil at least 5 minutes a day in tightly closed teeth.
Exercise number 6. For chewing muscles. Open your mouth and gently move the lower jaw first clockwise, then counterclockwise. Perform 2 times a day, 10 times in each direction.
Exercise number 7. For pharyngeal muscles and tongue. Pull your tongue forward as far as possible and, holding in this position, sing the sound "and" for at least 3 seconds.
You will feel the effect of such gymnastics in a month of daily exercises.
Treatment of snoring with folk remedies. Traditional recipes for snoring at home
The wisdom of the people and their centuries of experience can alleviate the condition of people suffering from snoring. But we should not forget that experimenting with alternative recipes is possible only after the approval of the doctor.
Recipe number 1. Take 3 large sheets of fresh cabbage, wash under cold water and grind in a blender. In the resulting mass, add 1 tbsp. honey and mix. Use 2 tablespoons of this medicine daily for a month before bedtime.
Recipe number 2. Every night before going to bed, instill 2 drops of sea buckthorn oil in each nostril.
Recipe number 3. Every day before lunch and dinner, eat a small boiled carrot.
Recipe number 4. Rinse your mouth before going to bed with a decoction of oak bark and calendula. To prepare the broth, take 15 g of oak bark and 20 g of calendula. Pour 500 ml of water and bring to a boil. Turn off the heat and let it sit for 2 to 4 hours. Be sure to strain before use.
Recipe number 5. Drink large amounts of distilled water.
Recipe number 6. Pour 2 tablespoons of calendula in a liter of boiling water and let stand for 2 hours. Then strain and add 2 tablespoons of honey to the resulting liquid. Gargle twice a day - after waking up and before bedtime.
The listed exercises and folk remedies can be used both individually and all together. But if after a month of your efforts the expected effect does not come, be sure to go to the clinic. By itself, snoring is unlikely to disappear, but the development of serious diseases against a background of sleep disturbance will not take long.
CPAP therapy reviews
Egor, 45 years old: CPAP therapy has become my salvation. My well-being improved, nightly attacks of apnea receded.
Olga 56 years old: Snoring became my biggest problem, because no one could sleep in the house at night except me. I turned to the doctor complaining of loud snoring at night, respiratory arrest in sleep and weakness during the day. On the recommendation of a doctor, I started CPAP therapy. My condition has improved significantly, although weakness still does not leave me.
Tatyana 47 years old: Applied CPAP therapy on the recommendation of a doctor. Sensations remained negative: the skin on the face first turned red, then it began to peel off, and there was a lot of dryness in the mouth and nose. After several sessions, I refused to continue the procedure.