The norm, deficiency and overabundance of estradiol in the blood of women.
Estradiol is one of the main hormones in the female body. Along with progestins, it regulates the menstrual cycle and is also responsible for fertilization. In this article, we will provide a table of the norms of estradiol in the blood of women of different ages, as well as describe the condition in case of its excess or deficiency.
Estradiol: what is it responsible for?
This hormone is often called the hormone of beauty as well as femininity. The fact is that in boys and girls before puberty, the concentration of this hormone is approximately at the same level, in equal concentration in the blood. During puberty, girls experience a sharp jump in the production of this hormone.
Effect of estradiol:
- Thanks to this, the shape becomes more rounded, the breast increases, and also the hips become much wider than the shoulders. In addition, this hormone contributes to the deposition of fat on the hips, as well as the buttocks. Due to this, in a woman with normal, the concentration of estradiol in the blood rises quite noticeably. The most interesting thing is that the level of this hormone in different phases of the cycle is not the same.
- To be more precise, immediately on the first day of menstruation, the growth of this hormone is observed, it gradually grows, and its peak is observed one to two days before ovulation. It is this hormone that is responsible for the growth of the mucous membrane inside the uterus. If the thickness of the mucous membrane inside is insufficient, then the zygote will not be able to implant and pregnancy will not occur.
- Accordingly, the excessive production of this hormone, on the contrary, contributes to the growth of the mucous membrane inside the uterus and its uneven accumulation. This condition is called hyperplasia. After ovulation occurs, the concentration of this hormone decreases, and gradually decreases with the approach of menstruation.
- It is worth noting that this hormone is produced mainly by the ovaries, adrenal glands, as well as adipose tissue. Therefore, very often people with obesity can have problems conceiving a child. After all, a huge amount of estradiol predominates, which can interfere with a long-awaited pregnancy.
Estradiol - the norm in women by age: table
Usually this hormone is prescribed to be taken on the first or second day of the cycle or immediately before ovulation. These data help determine how well the female reproductive system works. Quite often, this hormone is given along with testosterone.
- It is noted that the optimal ratio of estradiol and testosterone is 10: 1. The valid value is 7: 1. If estradiol is a fairly small ratio, it is 6: 1 or less, we can say that testosterone prevails in the body of a woman.
- In turn, this negatively affects not only the state of women's health, but also appearance. In this case, a mustache can begin to grow in a woman, hair is observed on the abdomen, chest, and buttocks. The voice may become rougher.
- Judging by the excess concentration, then this is also not a good sign. The fact is that when estradiol is exceeded, some difficulties with conception can also be observed. In this case, the woman has endometrial hyperplasia, polyps, endometriosis, adenomyosis.
- Uterine fibroids and tumors within this female organ may also be observed. This is due to the fact that when the hormone norm is exceeded, the mucous membrane grows very quickly inside the uterus, and it becomes much thicker than is necessary for fertilization and normal bearing of the child.
Estrogen: effect on a woman's figure
The concentration of this hormone is acceptable over a fairly wide range, and depends on the characteristics of the woman’s body and physique. The most interesting thing is that even according to external data we can say about the state of health of a woman and the concentration of estradiol in the blood.
- Indeed, in women with a pear-type figure, in which fat deposits accumulate in the thighs and buttocks, the waist remains thin, in fact, a normal or increased concentration of estradiol is observed.
- Closer to menopause and menopause, the concentration of this hormone drops significantly. Because of this, women can begin to have serious health problems. The fact is that with a decrease in the concentration of this hormone in the blood, overweight is observed, a woman can dramatically recover, and for no reason.
- In addition, there is dryness in the vagina, as well as a decrease in libido. Usually, during menopause, a woman often complains of dryness during sex, as well as the lack of sexual desire. This is just due to a lack of estradiol in the blood.
- In addition to reproductive function, estradiol also affects the general condition of the body. The fact is that it destroys harmful cholesterol, and also improves the absorption of calcium in the body. Due to this, the bones become stronger. Indeed, often after menopause, women have osteoporosis, and the likelihood of fractures increases. This is all due to a decrease in estradiol in the blood.
Estradiol during pregnancy
As for pregnancy, estradiol in women in an interesting position rises. This is due to the fact that in addition to the ovaries and adipose tissue, estradiol produces a placenta. Accordingly, very often this indicator is involved in screenings of pregnant women. Based on these analyzes, one can judge the fetal pathology.
If the value of estradiol falls, then you can judge about a frozen pregnancy, or about the threat of a miscarriage. Gradually, with the growth of the placenta and the fetus, the level of estradiol rises, and reaches its maximum peak just before childbirth.Estradiol and pregnancy
What is the danger of a lack and excess of estradiol?
Symptoms of estradiol deficiency:
- Bad mood, depression
- Significant weight gain for no reason
- Voice Decrease
- The appearance of hair on the chest and abdomen, as well as the buttocks, in the area under the nose
Many scientists drew attention to the fact that women with a normal concentration of estrogen in the blood, even with its increased value, have a good mood, positive attitude, and goodwill. In women with reduced estradiol, the mood on the contrary is not very good, depression is often observed.
How to take an estradiol test?
Both an increase and a decrease in the level of estradiol below or above the specified standards require a consultation with a doctor and treatment. In this case, you can not use drugs that are recommended by the pharmacist. The fact is that to determine the lack or excess of estradiol, it is necessary to take tests. For this, blood is taken from a vein. At the same time, before delivery, it is necessary to come to the laboratory on an empty stomach, and also for a few days to stop drinking alcohol, a huge amount of sweet foods.
12 hours before the test, you can not have sex. According to the test results, the doctor can prescribe hormonal drugs. Quite often, to normalize the menstrual cycle, combined oral contraceptives are prescribed. Herbal preparations called phytoestrogens may also be prescribed.Testing
Estradiol-based drugs are prescribed before IVF. It is this hormone that stimulates the growth of the dominant follicle, from which the egg comes out in the future. That is, if this hormone is not enough, the dominant follicle does not grow, respectively, we can’t talk about pregnancy.
As for the lowered level of estradiol, the result may be diabetes. If estradiol is exceeded, there may be polycystic ovaries, neoplasms inside the uterus, and hyperplasia. That is, excess, and a decrease in estradiol in the blood is not the norm, often leads to serious ailments.Blood for analysis
Estradiol and Sports
The fact is that estradiol is very often used in athletes. This hormone makes the muscles more elastic, and the figure is tightened. Also, estradiol eliminates the flabbiness of muscles, makes them harder and more inflated. If you want to quickly tidy yourself up, then doctors can recommend estradiol. But of course, only for a good figure we do not recommend taking the hormone, because it can significantly affect health, as well as the reproductive system. Among athletes, hormone therapy is often practiced in order to make the body more resilient, flexible, and also increase the amount of muscle mass.
The most interesting thing is that estradiol does not contribute to weight loss, it only helps to actively change adipose tissue to muscle. Moreover, if the amount of estrogen in the blood is low, then a woman can lose body weight, or, more precisely, lose muscle. At the same time, the body becomes thin enough, but the structure and texture of the fabric leaves much to be desired. Along with weight loss and estrogen in the blood, sagging skin is observed. Therefore, it is impossible to lose weight correctly and well if the body has a low level of estradiol.Estradiol and Sports
Scientists have proven that with a decrease in estradiol in the blood, obesity or even diabetes is observed. The fact is that this hormone helps to lower the amount of bad cholesterol in the blood, which can contribute to an increase in blood sugar, and also contributes to obesity. That is, estradiol is able to break down fat and make a woman more slim. Accordingly, women with obesity may experience an imbalance in the amount of hormones.