Care for irises from sowing seeds to replanting. Features of the cultivation of Japanese, Dutch, German varieties.
Spring and summer - a time of riot of colors and aromas. We love this period not only for its warmth, but also for the beauty of home flowers. Among them, irises are worthy of attention. They entered the life of gardeners so long ago that it is difficult to imagine a site without a single bush of killer whales.
Their variegated color, the relative ease of growing and the ability to enrich the soil on which they grow, attract both professionals and lovers of creating beauty flower beds in the country.
Let's talk about irises, their cultivation and care in more detail.
A variety of bearded iris - yellow, red, white, blue, white-pink, purple, black: how it looks, photoflower bed with colorful irises
The bearded iris has such a diverse palette that I want to acquire every shade and plant it on my site.
Look at the photo selection below and be inspired by a similar desire:photo of yellow iris example 1 photo of yellow iris example 2 photo of yellow iris example 3 photo of red iris example 1 photo of red iris example 2 photo of red iris example 3 photo of red iris example 4 photo of white iris example 1 photo of white iris example 2 photo of white iris example 3 pink and white iris Dreams of love pink and white rice blushing kiss pink and white iris kentucky wumen white iris varieties White lotus photo of a pink and white iris Soseiti Paige photo of white iris mesmerizer blue iris example 1 blue iris example 2 blue iris example 3 purple iris example 1 purple iris example 2 purple iris bubble bubble purple iris example 2 black iris example 1 black irises example 2 black iris example 3 black iris dark peshn purple iris jeepsey romance
How to buy iris seeds in China in the Aliexpress online store: catalog linkscollage of photos of irises whose seeds are sold on Aliexpress
If you have a burning desire to diversify the color scheme of your flowerbed in the country / near the house with exotic varieties of irises, visit Aliexpress.
- Catalog with iris seeds on Aliexpress can seehere and here.
We talked about the rules of registration on Aliexpress here, about the features of ordering goods - here.
Growing irises from seeds from Chinaphoto of iris seeds
To increase the chances of 100% germination of iris seeds, choose their specimens before purchase, rather than varietal ones.
Since the seeds will come to you from faraway China, do not immediately plant them in the ground. Because there is no exact information on the date of their collection. They could be stored for sale for more than one week.
- If you purchased seeds in early autumn, prepare peat pots with sandy soil for them and sow.
- Dig pots in an open area with good lighting.
- With the first frosts, cover the area with seedlings with straw, leaves.
Experienced gardeners for these purposes use a synthetic winterizer, which is used in sewing.
If your seeds have time to germinate before the winter colds, then such a warm pillow will protect them from freezing and maintain a free flow of air.
If you received the seeds in winter, prepare them for planting in the open soil in spring. To do this, stratify the iris seeds:
- moisten a rag with water
- spread the seeds inside her and wrap
- put in polyethylene and in the tray
- put the latter in the refrigerator under the freezer so that the temperature is -3-5 ℃
All the above actions are performed a month before disembarking in the ground. For example, in February, then to sow seeds in open soil in March.
Stratification softens the seed coat so that the germ can pierce it during growth.
Be prepared for the fact that the blooming of irises after sowing seeds will only see 3-4 years after planting in open ground.
When is it better to plant bearded iris: in spring or autumn?flowerbed with classic bearded irises planted in autumn
- Species of bearded iris breed by roots. Therefore, the best time for their separation and planting is the end of summer-autumn.
- During this period, irises have already faded, their rhizomes are full of strength and will well tolerate all the manipulations of separation.
- The second important point - young plants will have time to adapt to the soil and conditions in the flowerbed. They will be ready for wintering and for the new warm season.
If you later acquired the rhizomes of the desired variety of bearded irises, store them like this:
- carefully review the condition of the roots, remove damaged and rotten areas with a knife
- lower the roots for a third of an hour in a weak solution of potassium permanganate
- let it dry in the sun or on the windowsill
- put in a box and sprinkle with sawdust or dry peat
- store in a cool room, for example, on the balcony until spring
In the spring, after the snow melts, plant the roots of irises in the prepared soil. Please note - they will show maximum flowering only through dad's years.
When is it best to plant irises in open ground: in the spring and how to care?divided young irises before landing
Depending on the type of iris, there are differences in their spring landing in open ground.
A common point is soil preparation. For this:
- determine the type of soil and add to it those substances with which it is poor. For example, acidic, neutralize ash, dolomite flour, chalk,
with excess sand - land with a high clay content,
loam - peat and sand,
- Enrich ordinary soil with compost and potassium phosphate fertilizers. Manure is not suitable as a source of nutrients for irises in the spring,
- Choose a place well-lit in the morning without drafts on the site. After dinner, it’s better if it shades,
- disinfect the soil and inhibit the development of weeds with fungicide and herbicides, respectively,
- think over and drain in the area under the irises.
- plant seedlings in a certain order - staggered, after, in a circle. In the first two options, observe the distance between the holes of 40-50 cm, in the third - 30 cm,
- feed plants only until flower buds form. Irises are unpretentious in leaving, therefore they do not need additional enrichment of the soil with fertilizers.
The following are the differences in planting:
- plant bearded irises in shallow holes, in the center of which pour a mound of dry soil / sand. Lay the root on it, spread the roots. Sprinkle the hole so that the top of the root remains visible,
- deepen other types of irises in the holes by 2-3 cm without openness of the root system,
- after planting, irrigate all kinds of irises except the bearded ones under the root. The latter will appreciate additional watering only in the case of extremely arid spring / summer,
- drainage is mandatory for the soil under the bearded irises, so that there is no increase in its moisture. Other plant species like moisture in the ground.
When iris diseases appear, try to respond as quickly as possible:
- withered and yellowed leaves, buds, flowers - a signal of the danger of infection of other plants. Therefore, remove the diseased with the root and burn,
- from slugs, spread wet rags or sheets of burdock between the rows overnight. In the morning, collect them with slugs and throw them away,
- spray drugs from diseases only until flower buds are formed,
- after flowering, scan the iridaria and remove diseased specimens.
Landing irises in the ground and care in August, autumn: tipssplit iris root for planting in august
The boundary of summer and autumn - it is time to transplant irises to another place or to propagate them vegetatively, with roots.
- Dig up the bearded specimens with a pitchfork so as not to injure the roots.
- Shake them off the ground and divide the mother root with a knife, hands, a shovel. On each segment, save 1-3 buds, a couple of root hair and a few leaves. Fan the last one third.
- Cut the affected areas with a knife.
- Treat the resulting material with a weak solution of potassium permanganate, allow to dry in the sun. Sprinkle cuts with a mixture of charcoal and sulfur.
- Land in accordance with the recommendations of the previous section.
- Water the bearded irises rarely.
- Feed the plants in the fall before wintering with mineral fertilizers. Then the irises have the strength to endure the cold and begin a new growth cycle in the spring.
- Sprinkle the flowerbed immediately after the first frost with fallen leaves, shovel, sawdust or light synthetic materials so that the plants do not die / become damaged due to low winter temperatures.
Why irises do not bloom, some leaves: reasonsplot with irises that do not bloom due to disease
There are several reasons for this phenomenon:
- long stay in one place. Professional gardeners recommend changing it for irises at least every 4-5 years,
- excessive shade, lack of sunlight,
- they are too young, that is, after planting the roots less than 2-3 years have passed,
- cramped bed. If you planted irises close to the building or to each other, did not transplant them for a long time or violated the distance between the holes during planting, the absence of flowers in plants is expected,
- deep location of roots in the ground. Iris spends all its efforts on moving the root to the surface of the earth, and not on the formation and flowering of buds,
- freezing plants. At extremely low temperatures, without covering the roots, you won’t have to wait for flowers in the summer,
- plant diseases when peduncles are affected.
Transplanting bearded irises to another place: when is it better?pitchfork near iris root for digging and transplanting
If you are going to change the location of bearded irises, do this either in early spring or after their flowering - in early autumn.
Along the way, you can combine the transplant with the separation of the daughter roots for propagation.
In no case do not dig up bearded irises during the growing season - the formation of a peduncle and its flowering.
Pruning irises, caring for irises after flowering: tipsirises before and after pruning
When the irises have faded and the last bud has fallen, break the pedicel under the very base, closer to the root.
Do not touch the leaves until the first frost. With their onset, shorten each sheet by 50%, maintaining the conical shape of the fan.
The same procedure is justified in the spring when planting young plants or transplanting old ones. Shortening them with leaves, you will give irises the opportunity to strengthen the roots before flowering.
Caring for irises after flowering is quite simple:
- manually remove weeds in the flowerbed
- gently loosen 2 cm of soil around them
- apply fertilizer under the root in the fall before the winter cold
- cover a flower bed with irises, fir branches, dry leaves
Irises - preparing for winter: how to cover?fallen leaves - material for sheltering irises for the winter
There are differences in the covering of irises having an onion or cuttings root system:
- for the first, use fallen leaves, dry sand, flooring, sawdust, and cover with a spruce top,
- the second is more comfortable under a thin layer of dry peat and pine branches. Fallen leaves can provoke root debate during snow melt in spring.
Do not cover with a continuous carpet, but each plant with a mound, leaving a small tail of leaves.
The height of the shelter ranges from 10-15 cm. According to the luminaries of selection and gardening, every centimeter of shelter conceals 1 ℃ of frost. That is, near the root, irises will hold 0 ℃ in frosts to -15 ℃.
Repeated sheltering may be necessary only in cases when the temperature regularly drops below -15 ℃.
Pay attention to the type / variety. Proven for years, irises are immune to frost and the changing weather conditions in your area. New breeding representatives, alas, no. Take care of them with special care and be sure to cover them.
- With the advent of the first frosts, cut the leaves of irises in the shape of a cone, leaving 10-15 cm from the ground. Thus, you will protect the development and spread of plant diseases.
- Pay attention to the nature of winter. If it is lightly snowy and cold, cover your entire iridary.
Be sure to remove the shelter in the spring when the snow has melted and there will be the possibility of free movement through the flower beds. Try to rake branches and peat early for bearded irises so that their roots are warmed up under the sun.
Iris Dutch onion: planting and careflower bed of colorful dutch irises
If you decide to diversify your iridary with Dutch varieties, pay attention to the features of caring for them:
- plant bulbs in August in moist, greasy soil saturated with mineral fertilizers,
- before planting the bulbs, disinfect with potassium permanganate, dipping them for half an hour in its weak solution, or with a fungicide,
- surely loosen the soil and raise it 10-15 cm with a dry earth mixture with fertilizers,
- deepen the bulbs of Dutch irises to a distance equal to 3 sizes each. Mulch dry soil on top,
- plant these varieties of irises in bouquets in a circle, backing 10 cm between the holes,
- Do not water the plants immediately after planting. They are very afraid of excess moisture, so while watering the "neighbors" in the flowerbed, cover the irises with a film,
- feed them with mineral fertilizers a week before the buds open,
- after flowering, dig the bulbs for storage until the end of summer. Usually this procedure is carried out in May. At the place of growth of the Dutch irises, plant other plants that will bloom and please your eyes, for example, velvet
- check the bulbs for integrity, cut dry and diseased roots. Place them stored in a warm, dry room until August.
- if winters in your area are excessively harsh, additionally cover Dutch iris varieties.
Flower - Japanese iris: planting and careflower bed with lush flowers of Japanese irises
Japanese varieties of irises love a lot of moisture during the flowering period, but without its stagnation. But the cold winters of Russia are not to the taste of the killer whales. Therefore, you need to cover them for the period of cold weather.
There are not so many species of Japanese irises for Russian gardeners as there are bearded ones, but they differ in a large diameter of flowers. The latter reach up to 25 cm.
Consider the nuances of caring for this type of iris, which differ from the rest:
- landing - dig holes deep from a matchbox. Sprinkle the root with dry soil and water. Observe the distance between the holes 30-35 cm,
- propagation by division of the rhizome is allowed even without digging up the mother root.
Cut young leaves and a fragment of the underground part of the plant with a shovel / knife. Treat the cut area with dry charcoal. Plant young material in the ground 1-2 days after digging,
- erect a drain on the flower bed so that abundant watering does not provoke stagnation of water and rotting of the roots,
- pour earthen bumps around the holes so that the water flows directly to the roots of the irises when watering,
- spray plants from thrips, cut leaves in early autumn to burn pests and their future larvae,
- sprinkle with soil / sand the places where the root comes to the surface. So you ensure its good development and health to the plant itself.
Flower - German Iris: planting and careyellow-blue german irises bloom
German iris is the ancestor of modern bearded species. It is still valuable in cosmetology, cooking, and everyday life.
Follow the guidelines for planting and caring for German iris, which were given at the beginning of the article regarding his bearded descendants.
How to plant irises in the country, what to plant next?well-groomed flower bed, which also has irises
Irises feel good both in a mono version and in a flower bed with neighbors from other flowers / bushes.
- along the tracks
- on round flower beds
- among the stones
- on and on the shore
Consider a number of points before planting irises with other plants:
- their roots are close to the surface of the earth or even protrude outward. Therefore, the roots of neighbors should lie deeper so that they do not interfere with each other,
- the height of irises, depending on the species, ranges from 40 to 70 cm and above,
- they like a lot of sun before dinner and don’t favor plentiful regular watering,
- afraid of weeds.
Next to the irises, plant:
- spirea bushes
- mountain pine
However, the most rational solution is to plant irises of different colors and heights together. So you will need to look after the flowerbed the same way without adjusting for differences in approaches for other flowers / shrubs.
The use of irises in landscape design: photoflower bed of irises on the shore of an artificial reservoir
The beauty of blooming irises and their unpretentiousness in care won the hearts of professionals and lovers of creating beauty on the plot / in the flower garden.
Below is a series of photos of a successful landscape arrangement of irises.irises in landscape design example 1 irises in landscape design, example 2 irises in landscape design example 3 irises in landscape design example 4 irises in landscape design example 5 irises in landscape design example 6 irises in landscape design example 7 irises in landscape design, example 8
So, we examined in detail the stages of caring for irises of different varieties from seeds to seedlings of roots, were inspired from viewing photos of their species and landscape combinations, and we chose the copies you like on Aliexpress.
It remains a matter of developing personal experience in communicating with irises.
Even if you have never planted flowers in your area, it's time to fill this gap. Irises to help you!