Methods for cleaning the chimney.
The accumulation of soot in the chimney often contributes to the disruption of the stoves, as well as the ingress of a large amount of combustion products into the room. Therefore, it is advisable to clean with a large amount of soot on the walls of the chimney. In this article we will get acquainted with special tools, as well as folk methods that will help to clean.
How to clean the chimney with special tools?
- Chimney sweep Pro. The drug is sold in packages. In order to clean, you will need 3 servings. If on the walls there is a fairly decent layer of soot, you will need 5 sachets. It is necessary to lay funds in the firewood during combustion, before they burn out, about half an hour before the end of the manipulations. After the wood is burned, it is necessary to melt the stove again with clean firewood. There is no need to climb into the chimney with a brush, because the soot itself will fall off from the chimney walls.
- Cheerful Chimney sweep. This is a prophylactic that is added to the wood during the combustion process. Prevents the formation of soot by changing its composition.
- HG - A Dutch product that has gained immense popularity because of its effectiveness. Removes a thick layer of plaque in a short time. It is sold in banks in the form of a powder. Experts recommend using it no more than once every six months. To do this, you need to put two measured spoons into the firewood, after having pre-heated the stove.
- Chimney sweep. This substance, which is used to clean furnaces, is also sold in powder form. There are liquid options, but the least expensive method is using a powder.
- Mason. This is a drug that is sold from the Czech Republic. It is most often used as a prophylaxis. He is not able to get rid of a thick layer of soot and soot in the chimney. When the firewood almost burns out, you need to add a little money to them, and wait for the complete combustion.
- Hansa - a universal substance that can be used for all types of furnaces. It can be used not only with wood, but also with coal. For cleaning it is necessary to place 2 buckets in the wood and burn the stove. The procedure can be repeated several times until the quality of cleaning suits you. For prevention purposes, apply once to four fire chambers.
How to clean the chimney from soot folk remedies?
- Potato peelings. The fact is that when starch enters the chimney, the composition of the soot changes, so it itself falls away from the pipe walls. You need to take about 5 kg of potato peelings, this is about half a bucket. Melt the stove and add cleanings to the firebox. During combustion, starch is released, which destroys carbon deposits. You need to wait, and then clean the stove. Depending on the composition of the soot, it may fall off by itself during the burning of potato peelings or additional peeling is required. To do this, use brushes or just a big stick. She needs to knock on the walls of the chimney, so that pieces of garbage easily fall off.
- Aluminum cans. An interesting and unusual way that has proven itself very well. It was used by our grandmothers. It is used in all boilers that use solid fuel. In order to carry out cleaning, it is necessary to burn aluminum cans. It can be a can of peas, condensed milk. It is necessary at the very beginning to lay firewood along with aluminum cans. Aluminum also changes the composition and properties of soot, which then falls off the chimney.
- Chimney cleaning mothballs. Please note that this method can only be used if the pipes are completely intact, there are no cracks on them. If you find a defect, eliminate it. Only after that carry out cleaning with mothballs, because the smell can spread throughout the house. It is necessary to throw one tablet of naphthalene into the fuel space during furnace heating. The fact is that soot after such a manipulation will fly out in the form of white flakes. This method is not the most harmless, because naphthalene has explosive properties. In addition, naphthalene is an allergen, can cause allergic reactions. If the pipe is broken, a fire may start.
- Copper sulfate and nitrate. It is necessary to take 5 parts of copper sulfate and 9 parts of nitrate, add two parts of coke or coal. Coal briquettes are also suitable. About 20 g of the mixture are added per 100 kg of firewood. Initially, the furnace is heated to a maximum temperature, and then a composition of copper sulfate, nitrate, and coke is loaded. Further, the door is tightly closed. This method is recommended to be used only in closed systems.
How to clean the chimney: mechanical methods
Mechanical cleaning is the easiest but dirty way. It differs in that there are practically no expenses for cleaning. And it is gentle.
Mechanical cleaning options:
- Metal brush with a load. A kind of design that you can do yourself. This is an ordinary iron brush, to which a load is attached and suspended on a cable. Thanks to the load, the brush will be pulled down. When moving the cable from side to side, the brush will rise and fall from top to bottom. It is in this way that the cable is pulled from top to bottom to clean the pipe. Before cleaning, we recommend that you hang the oven with a cloth so that soot does not enter the house.
- Brush with prefabricated handle. This is a brush that has a removable handle. The brush is wound on a long handle and dirt and soot are scraped from the chimney.
- Scrapers. They are sold in special hardware stores, reminiscent of chisels. The handle is usually removed from such a scraper in order to climb into the inside of the chimney. With the help of such scrapers you can even remove oily soot.
Cleaning the chimney from soot: tips
- Please note that before starting the mechanical methods, it is worth checking all the fuel holes and closing them. In addition, so that less trash gets into the room, it is best to hang the firebox with an old rag or cellophane, which is sold in a hardware store. This will prevent soot from entering the room.
- After cleaning, it is necessary to collect all ash in special holes. The furnace itself is cleaned after all the manipulations.
- After the procedure, it is worth cleaning the boiler. An ideal option is to use a vacuum cleaner, which is used when cleaning fireplaces.
Cleaning the chimney from soot requires attention, as well as accuracy, compliance with all safety rules. Remember that cleaning using naphthalene, copper sulfate with nitrate, is carried out as a result of chemical reactions that can cause a fire. Clean according to instructions.