The article will tell you in detail about the history of the popular “Red Velvet” cake and offer you some recipes for making it at home.
What is Red Velvet? History of Red Velvet Cake
In modern pastry catalogs and restaurant menus, dessert such as "red velvet" is increasingly found. But, few people know that this cake is considered "American classics." The roots of this dish go deep into the 19th century. Since then, the cake has undergone several transformations and modifications, has found its own peculiarity in the form of an unusual color and international recognition.
In the original, the cake is called as “Red velvet cake”. For the first time, dessert “made itself known in 1817, but it was simply called“ Velvet cake ”(Velvet Cake) without any color designation. The dessert featured a delicate biscuit texture, which was also very soft and moist. Interestingly, that the biscuit was very buttery and had a lemon tint of taste.
INTERESTING: Only in the 40s of the last century did the cake find its red hue. This happened due to the fact that in those days only natural cocoa powder was used, which entered into a chemical reaction with kefir and soda, giving a slightly reddish tint. That red color was significantly different from the modern "Red Velvet", which has brightness and a rich shade.
Artificially coloring the cake, that is, adding food coloring to it, confectioners began in the 70s of the last century. They painted a dessert in which chocolate was not added and therefore cookbooks often published the recipe for Watermelon Cake, which had pink hues. Only then, through multi-stage experimentation, the ideal and balanced recipe for "Red Velvet" was found.
The whole world learned about this recipe only when the American film "Steel Magnolias" appeared on TV screens, where in one of the pictures of the wedding celebration an unusual cake of bright red color appeared in the form of an armadillo. For several years, the cake has won top positions in the ranking of the best desserts and has become a real favorite.
Some modern dessert recipes still vary (some add butter, others vegetable, various impregnations and creams). Nevertheless, to cook "Red Velvet" at home, to surprise and please others around it is quite realistic for both experienced cooks and novice housewives.Classic Velvet Cake Modern cake "Red Velvet" Frame from the film “Steel Magnolias”: Cake “Red Velvet”
Cake Red Velvet: an original, classic recipe
The classic recipe assumes the presence in it of those components from which the first cake "Red Velvet" or, rather, "Velvet Cake" was prepared.
Useful for you (cakes):
- Kefir - 250-255 ml. (as a rule, the fat content of kefir should be 1-2%, fat-free kefir is too watery, it is better not to use it).
- Flour - 225-230 g. (Use only the highest quality flour and before adding it to the dough, it is advisable to sift the flour twice - this is the secret of a magnificent and beautiful biscuit).
- Cocoa - 20-25 g. (Try to find the original cocoa powder that does not undergo alkalization, you can find such a product in health and vegetarian food stores).
- Margarine (or a creamy vegetable mixture) - 110-115 g. (You can also use regular butter, but it will make your cakes drier than the classic recipe suggests.)
- Sugar - 150-160 g (this is the exact amount, if you add more - you get a cloying taste, less - do not feel the sweetness at all).
- Egg - 2 pcs. (it is better to give preference to large domestic eggs).
- Baking soda - 1 tsp (you do not need to extinguish it, as this will happen by combining soda with kefir).
Useful (original cream):
- Cream Cheese - 200-210 g. (You can use cream cheese, cheese mass or even finely grated or whipped cottage cheese with sour cream blender).
- Fat cream (not less than 30%) - 190-200 ml. (you can purchase special confectionery cream).
- Powdered Sugar - 60-70 g. (Powder should be used, since sugar will crackle on the teeth).
- Sift flour once or twice. Mix cocoa and soda with flour. Mix everything thoroughly.
- In a separate bowl, the melted creamy vegetable mass should be thoroughly mixed with sugar until sugar crystals become noticeable.
- Kefir should be slowly introduced into this creamy mass, mixing everything thoroughly and accurately.
- Beat the eggs, it is advisable to mix everything evenly with a mixer and add the dry ingredients in small portions.
- The texture should not be thick, it should preferably be poured into a silicone mold (it will leak into a split dough).
- Baking occurs at an average temperature of 180-185 degrees for about 30-35 minutes. After this time, check the cake for readiness and leave to cool.
- The cream is prepared very simply: to prepare, whip the cream and mix them thoroughly with butter cream and powder.
- The cream should be divided into two almost identical portions: one in the middle of the cake (impregnation, filling), the second - cake decoration.
- The cooled one cake is divided into equal layers by thread. The cake is smeared with cream, another half is put on it. The remaining cream cheese (cheese cream) with a spatula is distributed over the surface using random movements.
Cake Red Velvet: a recipe from Emma's grandmother
Grandmother Emma is a popular culinary blogger who has become famous for a huge number of recipes on the pages of many sites on the Internet. Her recipes are simple and always delight with a delicious result. Grandma Emma invites you to make a Red Velvet cake according to your own recipe.
You should stock up on:
- Flour - 380 g (sift, you can sift along with cocoa).
- Cocoa - 15 g. (Choose high-quality cocoa without admixtures of sugar, vanilla and other additives).
- Kefir (1%, but better than 2.5%) - 400 ml. (it is better not to use low-fat kefir, since with it you will not be able to get the necessary density of biscuit).
- Red food splitter (gel-like) - 1 tsp (no more, otherwise we will not be able to achieve the desired color).
- Butter (fatty 70-80%) - 200 g (soften)
- Sugar - 300-400 g (less sugar can be added if you do not like very sweet desserts).
- Egg - 3 pcs. (preferably add homemade eggs to the dough)
- Vanilla sugar - 20 g. (Can be replaced with vanilla or vanilla extract).
- Salt - 1 tsp (if you add less sugar, then reduce the amount of salt, salt in the biscuit is a flavor enhancer).
- Baking soda - 1 tsp (it should be extinguished separately in advance with any vinegar: table, apple or wine).
- Cream "cheese" (cream cheese) - 500 g (any)
- Butter for cream - 300-350 g (see the consistency of the cream obtained).
- Powdered sugar - 300-350 (look at the consistency of the cream)
- Mix the flour with cocoa and sift into a prepared bowl for kneading.
- In a separate bowl, mix kefir with food coloring and mix everything thoroughly.
- In a bowl, mix soft butter with a mixer, gradually adding sugar to it.
- After sugar, add eggs, salt, vanillin, slaked soda to the butter. Mix everything carefully and gently.
- Alternating, add flour with cocoa and kefir with dye, mix everything thoroughly so that the mass is homogeneous.
- Pour the mass into the mold; it should be baked at medium temperatures in the oven at 180-185 degrees for no more than 30-35 minutes.
IMPORTANT: All dough can be divided into two parts and baked separately, or bake only one cake, which is then gently cut in half. Apply cream only to cooled cakes.
- Whip cream cheese with a mixer
- Add the powdered sugar in small portions of butter.
- Beat until the cream has the necessary consistency and desired density.
- With a ready mass, coat the cakes and decorate the cake.
Video: “Cake recipe from Emma’s grandmother”
Red Velvet Cake: Andy Chef Recipe
Ande Chef is a popular Russian culinary blogger who presents a lot of delicious recipes to Internet users, in particular, Red Velvet cake.
You will find it useful:
- Flour (high quality) - 330-340 g. (Sift once or twice).
- Cocoa - 1-1.5 tbsp (you can sift along with flour).
- Sugar - 250-300 g. (Half in sugar and half in cream).
- Salt - one small pinch as a flavor enhancer.
- Eggs - 3 pcs. (large homemade eggs, preferably).
- Vegetable oil (refined) - 300 ml (sunflower is best).
- Soda - 1 tsp (no need to extinguish)
- Baking powder - 2-2.5 tsp
- Food color red - 1.5-2 tsp (you need gel dye).
- Fat cream (30-35%) - 150 ml.
- Fat sour cream (25-30%) - 150 g (if you use homemade sour cream, the cream will turn out tastier).
- Powdered Sugar - 200 g. (Oriented according to one’s taste and preferred sweetness of the cream).
- Mix the sifted flour with other loose components, such as: vanillin (it is optional), soda and baking powder, cocoa.
- Beat eggs with sugar (use a mixer or combine for this). Oil and dry ingredients are mixed in there: flour, baking powder, soda, salt.
- Pour in the dye, the mass should be a very saturated red color.
- Bake the cake for about half an hour, the temperature should not be more than 180-190 degrees.
- While the cakes are baking and cooling, a cream should be prepared.
- Whip the cream, add sour cream and powdered sugar, mix everything thoroughly until smooth.
- Cream the cooled cake (or cakes) with cream, the finished dessert can be decorated with biscuit crumbs.
Cake Red Velvet from Alexander Seleznev: recipe
Useful (on cake):
- Flour of the best quality (premium) - 340-350 g. (Must be sifted 1 or 2 times).
- Cocoa 2-3 tbsp (sifted together with flour)
- Sugar - 200-300 g. (According to your preference, cake sweets).
- Vegetable oil) - 280-300 ml. (sunflower)
- Fat kefir (2.5%) - 280-300 ml. (you can also use 1%).
- Baking powder - 2 sachets
- Soda - 0.5 tsp
- Salt - a few pinches to enhance the taste
- Red food coloring - 2-2.5 tsp (preferably without flavoring).
- Egg - 3 pcs. (preferably use homemade).
Useful (for cream):
- Cream cheese or cottage cheese - 350-400 g. (Any available, for example, "Philadelphia").
- Butter (high fat) - 150-160 g
- Powdered sugar (can be replaced with sugar) - 100 g. (If using sugar, stir it very carefully so that there are no crystals).
- You can add some vanilla
- Flour and other dry ingredients are thoroughly mixed.
- The oil softens, mixed dry ingredients are added to it: flour, baking powder, soda, salt.
- Poured dye, the dough should be poured into a silicone mold (it fits best).
- Bake the cake at 180-190 degrees for no more than 33-35 minutes.
- The cream is prepared by mixing cheese cream and butter with powder.
- Coat the cooled cake (or cakes) with cream
Cake Red Velvet a simple recipe with beets (beet juice), without dye
Beetroot is a sweet root vegetable, the juice and grated pulp of which can be used to give the biscuit a special color and tenderness. The texture of the cake will not be too different from what is baked with dye. However, the dessert will be very tasty.
You will find it useful:
- Flour - 230-250 g. (Look at the consistency)
- Cocoa - 1 tsp (or exactly 5 g.)
- Milk - 140-150 ml. (bold or homemade)
- Salt - small pinch
- Beetroot puree - 150 g (finely grated young beets, 100 ml of beet juice can be used, more flour can be added).
- Baking powder - 1,5-2 sachets
- Sunflower oil - 140 ml
- Vanillin - 1 package
- Sugar - 140-150 g. (To taste)
- Eggs - 2 pcs. (large, home)
- Kefir - 70 ml (preferably oily in 2.5%)
- Water with sugar for impregnation (90 ml from 40-50 g of sand).
- Butter cream - 250 g (any available)
- Butter (in cream) - 100-150 g. (High fat content)
- Powdered sugar in cream to taste
- Sift the flour, mixing it with all the dry ingredients of the recipe
- Mix beaten eggs with kefir and milk, sugar and beetroot puree, vegetable oil.
- Add bulk ingredients and mix thoroughly.
- Bake the dough in the form until cooked for 35-40 minutes at 185-190 degrees, then let cool.
- Butter cream is whipped with butter and powder to the desired dense state.
Red Velvet Cake with Strawberry Confetti
Confetti or confit is a coating for a dessert of berry mass, slaughtered with sugar. Such icing for the cake "Red Velvet" is very relevant. She can emphasize the delicate taste of a "moist" and delicate biscuit along with a cream cheese.
How to cook confit. What do you need:
- Strawberry - 250-280 g. (Look at the consistency)
- Sugar - 80-100 g. (According to your preference)
- Corn starch - 12-15 g.
- Gelatin - 8-9 g. (Can be replaced with agar agar)
- Water - 40-50 ml. (for swelling gelatin)
IMPORTANT: Strawberries should be smashed in mashed potatoes with a blender. Soak gelatin beforehand. Starch must be mixed with sugar. In a pureed strawberry, set on a small fire, add the swollen gelatin and starch, bring to a boil and let cool. Cover the confit cake."Red Velvet" with strawberry confit
Cake Red Velvet: recipe in a slow cooker
You should stock up on:
- Flour -350-380 g. (Sift with cocoa).
- Cocoa -15-20g.
- Kefir (1% -2.5%) - 380-400 ml.
- Red food coloring (gel-like) -1 tsp (or replace with a glass of beet juice).
- Butter (70-80%) -200 g (soften)
- Sugar -350-380 g. (Sweets according to your preference).
- Egg -3 pcs. (preferably add homemade eggs to the dough)
- Baking soda -1 tsp (it should be extinguished separately in advance with any vinegar: table, apple or wine).
- cream cheese or cream cheese mass -500 g (any)
- Butter - 150-200 g.
- Powdered sugar -200-250 (look at the consistency of cream and taste).
- Mix flour with cocoa and sift
- In a separate bowl, mix kefir with dye or beetroot juice.
- Beat soft butter while adding sugar
- Add eggs, salt, vanillin, slaked soda to the oil
- Mix all the ingredients in one batter
- Pour the mass into the bowl, turn on the "Bake" mode for 30-40 minutes.
- Cut the cake into several layers with a thread
In a slow cooker
IMPORTANT: Cake cream is prepared by mixing and whipping cheese with butter and adding powder.
Cake Red Velvet with berries. How to decorate a Red Velvet cake?
Berries not only complement the taste of the cake, emphasizing its delicate creamy taste and juicy soft cakes. Berries are able to externally transform the cake. You can add them not only to the layer, but also to the side, upper parts of the cake, in the cream.
Decor options for the cake "Red Velvet" berries:Multi-storey Wedding Cake with Berries With blueberries, raspberries and currants With strawberries as a decoration Berries and berry cream "cheese" With berries and fruits With berries and chocolate
Cake Red Velvet: reviews
Valeria: “I’ve been drooling for a long time on this cake, so I tried to cook it at home. Everything worked out. The most difficult part in the recipe is to find the dye I ordered on the Internet!”
Kristina: “The first time the cake turned out to be very“ homemade ”: kosoboky, but soft and juicy. The second cake turned out“ like from the picture. ”I personally made some adjustments. I additionally impregnate the lower layer with sugar syrup.”