Breast milk is the best present a mother presents to a newborn baby. This is not only his nutrition, it is a way to survive and get stronger in the first days of life. In those moments when feeding is complicated by various problems, it is worth thinking about how to get rid of them in time and not harm the baby. Proper application will allow you not to experience the pain of the mother and not starve the baby.
How to teach a child to take breasts?
- Immediately after birth, the baby has one major and very important need - to eat. Food for a newborn baby is mother’s breast milk, which is the main source of energy for him for several months and even years of life
- It often happens that young mothers who give birth for the first time simply do not know how to properly teach the baby to take breasts and drink milk. The consequence of this is the baby’s cries and vagaries, his starvation, swallowing of air while breastfeeding, excessive milk being in the chest and pain due to this
- You need to put the baby to the chest correctly, knowing all the nuances and needs of the baby. Only the correct application from the first days of life will become the basis of his entire subsequent life. In addition, if the baby learns to take breasts correctly, it will not harm mom and will not hurt her
- Pain in the chest most often occurs due to the strong compression of the gums of the nipple, its cracking. It is not uncommon for a nipple to bleed and it is simply impossible to touch it, which makes feeding even more difficult
How to take a baby breast?
In order for the baby to learn how to suck milk properly, it is necessary to follow some important recommendations on how to feed it. If a young mother listens to them, she will be able to avoid the following problems with her health and the health of the baby:
- Choose a comfortable and proper position for breastfeeding. The feeding position is closely related to how the baby gets food. If he is comfortable, then the nipple penetrates deep into his mouth. This means that he will not pinch the edge of the nipple and mom will not experience pain. In addition, the correct position of the mother and baby has a good effect on the flow of milk, i.e. lactation
- There are two main positions: sitting when the child is lying on his hands or lying in bed.Both poses are quite comfortable, but they closely depend on how tall and the size of the mother’s breasts is. The fact is that it is difficult for very tall women to feed the baby in a sitting position. They need to bend their backs strongly, which will add pain to it. Therefore, it is best to put pillows on your knees and lay the child on top. Another pose involves feeding the baby lying down, when both the mother and the baby are parallel to each other. This is a very comfortable posture that allows a woman to relax, but it is not possible for those whose breasts are too large. To feed the baby, you should bend your arm at the elbow and support the chest with the same hand, directing it into the baby’s mouth
- Try to position your child correctly.A newborn child does not yet control his movements and does not know how to move at all, you need to arrange him in the most comfortable way. Raise its head slightly so that the chin is slightly upward. So it will be convenient and comfortable to swallow his chest
- Do not be afraid to help the baby.Of course, a newborn child has certain inborn skills, but nevertheless, without the help of his mother, he can not do anything. Each time when feeding the mother, it is necessary to take the nipple and stroke the baby on its nose so that it can open its mouth and look for it
- The location of the nipple in the mouth should be correct:the halo (the dark circumference of the nipple) should be at the level of his lips, and everything else in the mouth
- Determine whether the baby is attached to the chestcan be very simple - this is done visually. Pay attention to his cheeks, if they are inflated - this is absolutely correct swallowing of the chest, if they have fallen - no
Most mothers of newborn babies refuse or stop breastfeeding just because they start it wrong at the very beginning. Incorrect attachment problems should be addressed at the earliest stages in order to avoid all problems in the future.
Why does the baby not take the breast after the bottle?
Most often, mothers have the same problem - breastfeeding, combined with artificial feeding. Unfortunately, this is a common problem, because mothers with improper breastfeeding often begin to feed the baby from the bottle so that he does not starve. The reason that mothers begin to offer artificial milk is the baby's rejection of the breast.
The baby refuses to breast for several reasons:
- mom doesn't have enough milk
- the child does not have a developed sucking reflex
- the baby cannot swallow properly to suck out milk and eat
- mom’s nipples are not designed and they don’t give enough milk to the baby
- the baby tasted the bottle and felt the food, which seemed to him tastier and nourishing
- If the baby does not want to take breasts, mothers notice that he begins to cry too loudly, turn his face away from his chest, beat his arms and legs
- With this nervous behavior, many mothers start to panic express milk into dishes, pour it into a bottle and offer the baby, noticing how he easily takes the bottle and drinks. There is another situation when mother must leave - she decantes and leaves milk for feeding
- After such a bottle feeding, the next time the baby can completely turn away from the breast and not want to take it, and then the mothers literally force him and forcefully put her into her mouth
Feeding the baby is necessarily a calm procedure. She should not assume screams, tantrums and whims, as well as mom's disorders. If everything went wrong, try to relax: play with the child, massage him, stroke him and then again in a smooth and not restless atmosphere, tenderly offer him his chest.
While the child is eating milk from a bottle, he notices how easy it is for him. Indeed, from a hole, milk enters his mouth with a sufficient and uninterrupted amount. He does not strain his mouth to suck, the milk does not end and his lips do not get tired. So you can get a large amount of food in a fairly short time.
Why does the baby not take a second breast?
Another problem that mothers often notice is that the baby takes one breast during feeding and completely refuses to feed the second. The reason for this may be:
- baby's fullness after the first breast
- the fact that the baby could become quite tired by sucking the first breast
- mom has not developed enough nipples on the first breast
- mom’s habit of feeding the baby in only one position
Most often this happens due to the fact that when feeding mothers choose the first and most suitable position for them to feed. The baby takes the same breast every time at first and since it is the most “popular”, the channels in it are quite well developed and give milk well. The second breast, due to the fact that it is always given to a fed baby or given in the second place, remains slightly undeveloped.
the baby refuses the second breast
It is for this reason that mom often feels that the second breast is poured, getting heavier, sore and pulling. The most appropriate solution in such a situation would be active pumping into a bottle. If milk is not expressed, it is quite possible to get breast inflammation and lactostasis (inflammation of the mammary glands).
To avoid stagnation of milk in the chest and to improve the flow of milk in the channels, you need to regularly express and give the baby a breast for development. Of course, the baby will have to work hard, but this is his mandatory function and work. Mom should not give in to the whims of the child and respond normally to even the most violent tantrums, because her stable emotional state is the key to health and good lactation.
Why does a baby take breasts only at night?
- In the fact that the baby refuses breast, a significant role is played by accustoming him to the nipple. It is a dummy that can replace his mother's breast. When the baby sucks his breast, he calms down, feels his mother, her smell, feels the heat of the nipple. All these pleasant emotions can be replaced by a rubber nipple to which the child gets used very quickly, as well as to bottle feeding
- If you notice that the baby takes his breasts well at night, and is picky during the day, these are his obvious whims. After all, at night he does this unconsciously and is not very nervous due to the fact that he is not given a pacifier
- Make a discount on the fact that during wakefulness during the growth of the first teeth (starting from two months) the baby feels unpleasant pains and he just needs to “scratch” them for something. The rubber surfaces of the nipples are best suited
- Pay attention to how the baby feels, whether his nose is stuffed up and whether it is easy for him to breathe - this is also the reason for the child’s partial abandonment of the chest and increased moodiness
- Carefully sort your diet, the wrong foods (sour or bitter) can spoil the quality and taste of your breast milk and therefore the baby may be from breast feeding
Why does a baby take breasts only while standing?
Such a feature of the child as breastfeeding only in the mother’s standing position is acquired only when the mother allows it. While caring for a child, women notice how boring, monotonous and difficult their lives are: their back often hurts, there is no way to rest calmly, relax and even go to the shower. That is why they are trying to somehow diversify and facilitate their existence.
One way to combine the “pleasant with the useful” is the habit of feeding the baby while standing. This allows the mother to walk from side to side, if feeding is done using a sling or kangaroo, this allows the mother to do several things at once. In the end, the child gets used to eating only in this position, because it is not only convenient, but also interesting: a wide view is opened and you can watch many things, moving mom provides the child with peculiar motion sicknesses.feeding a standing baby milk
The principle of such feeding is built only on the individual habits of the mother and baby and that is why sometimes mothers feel certain inconvenience: the child refuses another position, is naughty, turns his head away, cries. You can wean from this situation, but it takes time, able to develop a new habit.
The influx of milk into the canals is completely independent of the position in which the baby swallows the breast. Milk comes only when the baby completely sucks it from the chest, and its intensity depends only on sucking efforts.
Why did the child suddenly stop taking breasts?
Breast feeding is the best that a mother can give to her baby and in any case she needs to try so that the lactation is correct, plentiful and the baby knows how to take breasts. When problems arise with feeding, it is impossible to look for another solution to the problems; all possible efforts must be directed towards eliminating all the difficulties in feeding breast milk.
Refusal of the breast can be smooth and sharp, and in any case, the problem should be solved immediately. Breast milk - food and drink for a newborn baby. If you can’t fix it yourself, you should contact a professional consultant who is present in every maternity hospital and women's clinic.
There are several reasons for a sharp rejection of a breast for a child:
- Tight maternal breasts with undeveloped channels does not produce enough milk. The kid refuses to make efforts in order to receive a minimum of food and begins to act up. To do this, very often rub the nipples with a hard towel, drink plenty of fluids and express milk regularly
- Incorrect attachmentthe baby in consequence of which he does not receive milk from the breast or receives it in too small a quantity. This leads to starvation, air trapping, colic and makes the baby nervous
- Little nippleswhich are not convenient for feeding the baby
- Unpleasant taste of mother’s milk,therefore, mom needs to carefully monitor what she eats, avoiding harmful foods, gas-forming, bitter and sour. The cause of tasteless milk can also be mom’s menstruation or another pregnancy (a hormonal surge affects the quality of milk)
- Another smellable to scare the baby off the chest and make him capricious, so mom should carefully choose a perfume
- Feeling unwellmakes the baby nervous and suffer from a lack of appetite and that is why he can turn away from his chest, be naughty, cry
- The introduction of complementary foodsoften gives the baby a feeling of satiety and other taste sensations that are brighter and tastier than breast milk. therefore, the baby requires less breasts and is more naughty when he is fed the "wrong" food that he wants
The child refuses to take breasts, what should I do?
- In the case when the child refuses to breast, each mother should think about what measures she will take in order to establish it. Do not ignore this problem, decide that this is the right choice for a child or a relief for mom. Breast milk should be at least six months old and good if it lasts up to a year and a half years
- You should not be nervous about this, because the health of your mother is the key to good health and good lactation. You need to carefully monitor why you have made such changes and try to remove them as soon as possible.
- Go to bed with your baby in the same bed so that he will have access to your breast milk day and night, smell and not be nervous
- Distract from any worries, home life and causes of neurosis. Relax in peace and dissolve only in your baby
- Try to control his swallowing of the breast in appropriate recommendations.
- Make him labor in sucking out the milk, because the milk that is front and near the nipple is easy to suck, the one that is back takes effort
- Eliminate all foods that spoil the milk and include in your diet more liquid, cottage cheese, milk, nuts, meat, fish