From the article you will learn why adenoids grow in children and how to deal with this problem.
If your baby is very often sick and snotty for a long time, then this may be a sign that the baby has enlarged nasopharyngeal tonsils. Most often, parents learn about the disease, when adenoids in children increase to such a size that it becomes difficult for the baby to breathe.
But the most obvious sign of the disease is a constantly half-open mouth. If your child has these two symptoms, then it is better to see a doctor, because only he will be able to correctly determine what is with your child and what treatment should be used.
Where are adenoids in the nose and tonsils of the throat located and what do they look like?
Adenoids and glands are simply lymphatic tissue that acts as a barrier against airborne diseases. In a healthy state, these formations have a rounded shape and pale pink color. But if the defenses are reduced and an infection enters the body, they become purple in color, and very much increase in size.
These vital formations are located in the form of a ring in the oropharynx. They perform the same protective function, all that distinguishes them is their location. The glands are located in the throat, and the adenoids are located in the upper part of the pharynx.
Signs and symptoms of adenoids in children
Although tonsil enlargement is a fairly common disease, its treatment should be taken quite seriously. After all, if you do not tackle this problem in time, then the child may begin, for example, chronic sinusitis or tonsillitis. And these two diseases, as you know, deliver a lot of discomfort.
Symptoms of tonsil enlargement:
• It’s hard for a child to breathe
• Chronic runny nose
• Strong snoring in a dream
• Hoarse voice
• The child is often sick
• decreased appetite
• Wrong bite
Causes of adenoids in children
Every mother tries to make her baby grow healthy and strong. She does everything so that her son or daughter gets sick as little as possible and meets with doctors, but there are diseases that manifest regardless of what lifestyle the child leads.
Factors that can affect the growth of tonsils in the nose:
• Heredity. If dad or mother had problems with adenoids in childhood, then it is likely that the same problems will arise in the child
• Severe pregnancy. An increase in tonsils can provoke viral diseases carried in the first trimester, regular medication and birth injuries
• Feeding. Unbalanced food, a large amount of sweets and products containing artificial fillers and preservatives can provoke the growth of adenoids
Degrees of adenoids in children. Photo degrees of adenoids
Very often, lymphatic formations located in the nasopharynx begin to increase during any viral illness. If the child with the immune system is all right, then as soon as the disease recedes to normal, adenoids will come. But if the disease is delayed and becomes chronic, then this can provoke the growth of adenoids in children.
The degree of growth of tonsils:
• The first (small size). Your child may experience slight breathing problems during sleep.
• Second (medium size). It’s difficult for a baby to breathe through his nose, and in a dream he snores very much
• Third (large size). In a dream, breathes exclusively through the mouth and is very often ill
Edema with adenoids in a child
If you notice that the baby’s nose is very stuffy and it is constantly getting dark, sneezing and breathing heavily, then it means that the tonsils have grown and provoked nose swelling. But no matter how bad the son feels himself, it’s not worth being upset. These symptoms can be completely removed at home.
Methods for removing puffiness:
• Non-medical methods. Increase the humidity in the apartment, make inhalations, let's drink as much liquid as possible and do warming compresses
• Medical methods. Common nasal drops, antihistamines, or special systemic substances will help relieve symptoms.
• Folk ways. The nose can be washed with coltsfoot, plantain, calendula or buried with beets, scarlet and carrot juice with olive oil
How to treat nasal congestion, cough, runny nose with adenoids in children?
If adenoids in children reach large sizes, then as a rule they begin to provoke cough and runny nose. Most often, these two symptoms are greatly exacerbated during a child’s sleep.
This is due to the fact that receptors located in the nasopharynx are constantly irritated by enlarged adenoids and mucus, which is located on the back of the nose and throat.
The following recommendations will help you get rid of such problems:
• We treat cough. You can dissolve tablets that increase immunity, gargle with saline, take vitamin C and antitussives
• We treat a runny nose. The nose should be washed with sea salt, irrigated with glucocorticosteroids, instilled with drops, which contain antiseptics and antibiotics, and take antihistamines
How to treat adenoids in a child without surgery?
Not all parents agree to remove adenoids in children. Everyone has their own reasons for this. Some believe that over time the child will simply cease to hurt, while others are sure that removal will not solve the problem.
And if you also belong to this category, then try to alleviate the condition of the child with folk remedies. But still, know if the tonsils in the nose are very hypertrophied, then you all have to go to the doctors
Methods for treating adenoids at home
• Preparing homemade drops. Take a dry clove (8-12 pcs.), Pour a glass of water, close the lid and leave to insist. When the liquid darkens, it must be filtered through several layers of gauze, transferred to a clean bottle and instilled into the nose with a pipette. You can safely use such drops for a long time
• We do soda washes. Dissolve a quarter of a teaspoon of soda in a glass of warm boiled water and add 10 drops of alcohol to the resulting solution. Rinse your nose at least 3 times a day, pouring half a glass into one nostril at a time. A fresh solution must be prepared for each rinse.
What drops are used for adenoids in children?
Most often, enlarged lymph formations provoke severe rhinitis. This disease is treated very simply, with ordinary drops for the nose. The main thing, remember that drops for the baby should be selected especially carefully. It will be better if they are made from natural, mild components.
Types of nose drops:
• Drops from a pharmacy. Regardless of how much the selected drug will cost, it should have anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties. Cope with rhinitis Nazonex and Polydex
• Homemade drops. Each mommy can easily prepare a remedy at home. It cleans the sinuses of the Kalanchoe very well. It is necessary to take a leaf, rinse it well under water, dry it a little and squeeze the juice out of it. 4 drops should be instilled into one nostril
• Homeopathic drops. Such drugs quite effectively kill harmful bacteria, moisturize the nasal cavity and do not provoke side effects
At what age are adenoids removed in children?
It is believed that very young children do not make sense to remove adenoids, because there is a possibility that by the age of seven they will grow again. But still this opinion is not entirely correct. There are times when even three-year-old children have to remove lymph formations.
Indications for removal:
• Conservative treatment did not help
• The child, in general, does not breathe through the nose
• Stop breathing during sleep
• Violation of bite and posture
• Frequent otitis media
Adenoids in a child: tips and reviews
Valentine: I was very afraid when the doctor said that my son needs a removal operation. But thank God all went well. Adenoids were removed quite quickly and, most importantly, without complications. After that, the son quickly recovered and practically stopped getting sick. So I was pleased with the result.
Tamara: Our adenoids somehow do not grow much, so we decided to try the old grandmother's methods. We wash the nose with sea salt, drip the nose of scarlet and just increase the immunity with a large number of vegetables and fruits. So far, everything seems to be fine.