Bartholinitis is worried and you do not know how to get rid of this ailment? Read the article - it has a lot of useful tips.
Women's health requires attention and care. After all, a woman’s health is the health of the whole family.
- If symptoms of a disease, discomfort or even pain appear, you should immediately consult a doctor, since procrastination is dangerous.
- Especially, it concerns infectious diseases.
- Bartholinitis is a common disease among women.
- It develops in 1 case out of 50, causing severe pain.
- What is it, how to treat it when an operation is prescribed, what stages of the disease exist? You will find the answers to these and other questions in the article below.
Bartholinitis disease in women - what it is: causes, photo
Bartholinitis is an infectious disease, inflammation of the large bartholin glands. They are located at the entrance to the beginning of the vulva.Bartholinitis
The Bartholin gland is a paired organ that is located in the fat layer under the skin at the base of the labia majora. The functions of this organ include the production of secretory fluid. It appears during intercourse and lubricates the entrance to the vagina. Bartholinitis can occur in women at any age, but most often doctors make this diagnosis to women aged 20 to 35 years.
Why such an ailment develops. Here are the causes of bartholinitis in women and risk factors for the development of the disease:
- Long stay of the woman in the cold
- STDs (sexually transmitted diseases)
- Sexual intercourse during menstruation
- Promotional Sexual Activities
- Constant stress
- Personal hygiene
- Weak body defenses
- Complications after abortion or surgery in the genital area
- The presence of microtrauma
- Wearing tight underpants, because of which the outflow of secretory fluid is disrupted, it stagnates and as a result of this excellent conditions are created for the development of pathogenic flora
The inflammatory process in the area of the large gland in the vestibule begins after the microbial flora enters it: staphylococcus, streptococcus, E. coli and others. Bartholinitis also develops if a woman has infections such as gonococcus and trichomonas.
Worth knowing: An examination often reveals not one, but several infections, and bartholinitis appears against the background of an attack of many microbes. But not every lady suffering, for example, gonorrhea or trichomoniasis, will get bartholinitis.
Bad bacteria can enter the duct of the large gland of the vulva with urethritis or colpitis, as well as with the outflow of blood or lymph.
Symptoms of bartholinitis in women at different stages of the disease: acute bartholinitis, chronic, cystSymptoms of bartholinitis
All the symptoms of bartholinitis depend on the course of the disease and the site of the inflammatory focus. Over the course of the problem, the following stages are distinguished:
- Acute course of the disease
- Recurrent or recurrent
At the site of the lesion, the following stages of the disease are distinguished:
- Canaliculitis (inflammation of the duct)
- Abscess - suppuration
- Cyst - a tissue formation with secretory fluid inside
Symptoms of the disease at different stages can be as follows:
Acute course of the disease
- Canaliculitis develops.
- The appearance of redness near the exit of the duct of the large gland is characteristic. Secretory mucus is released from it.
- The duct of the gland itself can be palpated, and upon palpation, a drop of purulent fluid appears.
- The edema is growing in nature, outflow of secretory mucus is difficult, pus accumulates, which leads to the appearance of a false abscess of the large gland.
False abscess of the large gland of the vagina
- It manifests itself acutely, proceeds with sharp pain in the region of the labia majora. It becomes unbearable when walking, sitting, during bowel movements and during sexual intercourse.
- An increase in body temperature to 39 ° C occurs almost always. In addition, the woman is shivering and she feels overwhelmed and weak.
- Swelling of the labia appears in the area of the course of the disease. Swollen tissues can even cover the entrance to the vaginal opening.
- The appearance of redness of the skin is observed, but at the same time its mobility is preserved.
- A woman feels unbearable pain on palpation of the labia majora.
Then the edematous tissues become softened (fluctuation) - this indicates that a true abscess of the large gland develops, and a purulent secret has appeared.Microbes under the microscope that cause the development of bartholinitis
True Bartholin Abscess
- The body temperature rises to 40 ° C. Relaxation is observed, the woman is shivering, her head hurts.
- Painful sensations in the field of the development of the disease are pulsating - in growth and are constantly intensifying.
- A biochemical blood test shows high leukocyte values and deviations in the erythrocyte sedimentation rate (ESR).
- Inguinal lymph nodes may increase.
- The epidermal layer above the edema becomes immobile. Painful sensations accompany the woman constantly and not only upon palpation, the color of the tissues is bright scarlet.
It is worth noting that an abscess without the help of a surgeon can open itself. A woman will feel better: the temperature will drop, pain will decrease, and edematous tissues will return to normal. But the disease still requires treatment, otherwise complications will appear and the disease will confidently flow into the chronic stage.
- The disease at this stage always goes away with relapses. Symptoms may be increasing in nature, but from time to time subside.
- An exacerbation appears under the influence of external factors: hypothermia, menstrual flow, in which there is a pathogenic flora.
- When the aggravation recedes, the woman feels fine, although pain during sexual intercourse can manifest itself.
If the chronic stage is started, then a cyst forms, which requires the immediate assistance of a surgeon.Cyst with bartholinitis
Cyst of the large gland of the vagina
- A small cyst often does not bring discomfort to a woman and does not cause her discomfort. A woman can feel normal for years, not knowing anything about the fact that she urgently needs to contact a gynecologist for treatment.
- A cyst the size of a nut and more is always inflamed, so a woman feels obvious pain in the labia. Clearly visible puffiness, on which the cystic neoplasm is located.
- If the formed cavity with pus is inflamed, then the body temperature rises above 38 ° C, trembling appears in the body, poor health, pain in the temples, and weakness.
Cystic formation can open itself. This condition requires immediate assistance from the surgeon.
Bartholinitis during pregnancyBartholinitis during pregnancy
The future mother should be extremely careful about her health, since the health and life of the baby depends on her well-being. It is necessary to take a shower every day, keep the body warm, and consume vitamins. About bartholinitis during pregnancy, you need to know the following facts:
- If the expectant mother fell ill during the period from conception to the 22nd week of pregnancy, then the fetus will be infected with a high probability and this can lead to a miscarriage.
- If the expectant mother fell ill in the third trimester of pregnancyThere is also a high probability of contracting a baby. But at this time there is a risk of premature birth of the baby.
In addition, if a woman still managed to bear the fetus, the child will be infected at the moment of his birth, and this almost always leads to suppuration of the eyeball, lungs and navel.
Treatment of bartholinitis at home: antibiotics, ointmentsBartholinitis - treatment
Bartholinitis is usually treated in a hospital under the supervision of a physician. But, if the disease is simple, then you can be treated at home, most importantly, do everything that the doctor prescribed. The goal of treating bartholinitis is to prevent the formation of cysts and a true abscess. For this, the following treatment methods are used:
- Saline solution 10%. Salt draws fluid without destroying tissue and cells. To prepare the solution, mix 3 tablespoons of salt in 1 liter of warm boiled water. Moisten a cotton or gauze swab and attach to a sore spot.
- Vishnevsky ointment or Levomekol. Apply a little ointment to a cotton pad and apply to an abscess. Must be fixed for several hours. Ointments should be alternated, for example, an application with one to be done during the day, and on the other - at night.
- Disinfectant solutions - washing the place of the abscess. Solutions that do not cause burns are used: Chlorhexidine, Miramistin, Chlorophyllipt.
- Appointed a few days after the calming of the acute process.
- A woman should normalize her body temperature, pass chills and weakness.
- UHF, magnetotherapy, UV treatment are prescribed.
- Azithromycin, Amoxiclav
- Cephalosporins (Ceftriaxone, Cefazolin)
- Fluoroquinolones (Ofloxacin, Ciprofloxacin)
- Macrolides (Clarithromycin, Hermithromycin)
- Trichopolum and Tinidazole
Anesthetics are also prescribed - analgesics and anti-inflammatory drugs - ibuprofen and others.
In what cases is an operation to open bartholinitis prescribed?Surgery to treat bartholinitis
Indications for the appointment of treatment of bartholinitis with surgery - an abscess of the large gland. The doctor performs manipulations to open the tissue cavity with pus. All contents are removed, and tissues are treated with 3% hydrogen peroxide. To pus well departed, a drainage tube is inserted into the tissue cavity, which is removed after 5 days.
Also, the doctor prescribes antibacterial drugs and compresses with ointments. At this time, you should observe bed rest, refrain from sexual intercourse and do not supercool.
Treatment of bartholinitis with folk methods: medicinal mixtures, herbs
Traditional medicine offers many medicines to treat diseases, including bartholinitis. You can use such folk methods:
Trays of herbs decoction
- Chamomile, calendula, oak bark and others are well suited.
- Brew one tablespoon of herbs with a glass of boiling water. Insist to cool completely, and then strain.
- Pour this infusion into a bowl of warm water - 36-38 degrees, mix well.
- Do a bath for 15 minutes.
Therapeutic mixture for oral administration
- Pass through a meat grinder 300 grams of walnut kernels and 100 grams of garlic.
- In the resulting mixture, add a couple of tablespoons of fennel (crushed on a coffee grinder) and 1 kg of natural honey.
- If honey is thickened, heat it a little in a water bath.
- Mix well and take 1 tablespoon for 30 days.
- This mixture improves the body's defenses and boosts immunity.
Remember: Self-medication is dangerous! Before treatment, consult your doctor. Alternative methods can be used in the absence of an abscess and an acute period of the disease.
The consequences of bartholinitis, forecasts after surgeryBartholinitis
Most often, bartholinitis is a chronic disease that can cause relapses.
- If you open the abscess on your own, it will quickly lead to a relapse. A cavity devastated by pus can additionally become infected with bacteria that enter the vagina or anus. Such infected tissues then heal for a long time.
Therefore, if the first symptoms of bartholinitis occur, you should immediately contact a female doctor - a gynecologist!
- After surgery, the doctor frees the cavity from pus, processes fabrics. After an autopsy of the abscess, the woman does not go to the doctor, and this quickly leads to a chronic course of the disease or the formation of a cyst.
What should a woman do to prevent the development of a relapse of a large gland abscess? Here are some important nuances:
- Bartholinitis in the stage of abscess - This is an ailment with which you need to urgently contact a surgeon and the sooner the better.
- The purulent cavity should be opened only by the surgeon. Independent opening of the abscess leads to undesirable consequences and the development of the chronic stage of the disease.
- When the spontaneous dissection of the abscess occurs, the cavity is not completely freed from pus, and the help of a surgeon is required. The doctor will cleanse the tissues and treat them with disinfectants.
- Improper care of the opened purulent cavity necessarily lead to undesirable consequences and complications.
If nevertheless the abscess opened spontaneously, the following should be done:
- Urgently consult a surgeon to completely cleanse the cavity of pus.
- Observe personal hygiene: washing 2 times a day, wearing loose underwear, regular change of pads (every 2 hours) during menstruation. If you wear everyday pads, then they must also be changed every 2-4 hours.
- Follow doctor's recommendations: take the prescribed drugs and use antiseptic agents.
In general, if you do everything right, then you will be able to avoid the effects of bartholinitis and the chronic development of this disease.
Bartholinitis PreventionBartholinitis Prevention
Preventive actions from bartholinitis are simple, and every woman can perform them:
- Observe personal hygiene: Wash 1-2 times a day. It is also important to wash the genitals, the anus after defecation.
- When washing, the water flow should be directed from front to back - from the genitals to the anus.
- Use herbal infusions and douching is only necessary after consultation with a gynecologist.
- Use a condom during random sexual intercourse, but it is better to have one sexual partner.
- Do not wear tight underwear.
- Timely treat all chronic diseases: pyelonephritis, urethritis, colpitis, caries and others.
In addition, you must visit the gynecologist twice a year. This will help to timely recognize the problem, if any. The doctor will prescribe treatment and the woman will be able to forget about unpleasant bartholinitis forever.
Treatment of bartholinitis yourself: reviewsDoctor's treatment of bartholinitis
If you suspect that you have bartholinitis, then it is best to consult a doctor immediately. Self-medication can be dangerous, because there can be many causes of this disease, from infectious to venereal diseases. Here are a few reviews of women who have encountered bartholinitis:
Elena, 30 years old
I managed to get rid of bartholinitis myself, but it turned out that not for long. I read on the Internet the popular method of combating pustular fistula - applying raw potatoes. When I felt pain, and a swelling appeared in the area of the large gland, rubbed the potatoes, and applied for the night. The husband laughed at me, and said that tomorrow I could neither walk nor sit.But it turned out the opposite, the swelling subsided, the discomfort began to disappear. However, after a couple of months the problem reappeared, but body temperature had already risen and general weakness arose. I had to go to the doctor, he said that from the wrong treatment, a cyst developed. Therefore, it is better to immediately contact a gynecologist.
Lyudmila, 35 years old
I never self-medicate, and I always go to the doctors, especially if there is a problem in the female area. I had Bartholinitis once in my life - 2 years ago. The doctor took the sowing on the flora, prescribed treatment and after a week from the disease there was no trace left!
Alexandra, 28 years old
When I got bartholinitis, I didn't even understand that. A swelling just appeared near the vagina the size of a nut, could neither sit nor walk - the pain was unbearable. This ailment overtook me during the holidays, the clinic did not work. I called an ambulance, immediately hospitalized in the gynecology department. The doctor opened the cavity with pus, cleaned and prescribed treatment. I spent another 5 days in the hospital, and then I was discharged. Now everything is fine, but I follow the recommendations of doctors on prevention.