From this article you will learn what acid reflux is and how to avoid many unpleasant conditions in this pathology.
Gastroesophageal reflux disease has many different symptoms - these are pains in the epigastric region, bitterness in the mouth, belching, and even acute sore throat. But one of the most common is considered acid reflux.
Also, such a pathology can be accompanied by heartburn, the manifestation of pharyngitis and diseases of the nasopharynx, since the contents of the stomach that get on the tissues have a negative effect on local immunity. What other troubles may appear, what are the complications of acid reflux, read in this article.
Symptoms of acid reflux: heartburnAcid reflux
At the moment, a large number of people are interested in the topic of acid reflux.
Acid reflux is a common disease, the main symptom of which is “heartburn” - burning behind the sternum, sometimes reaching the throat, the pain in this case depends on exactly what amount of acid is in the mucous membrane of the esophagus.
The main cause of acid reflux is a large amount of gastric juice. Pain occurs due to the fact that gastric juice damages the walls of the stomach, esophagus, throat, and even the nasopharynx. In addition to heartburn, with acid reflux, there may also be such symptoms:
- Chest pains.
- Difficulty swallowing.
- Belching food.
- Periodically or permanently, acidic, nasty taste in the mouth.
Symptoms that are not accurate, but may be caused by acid reflux:
- Recurrent nausea
- Noticeable Weight Loss
- Sleep disturbance
- Persistent hiccups
- Sore throat, cough
- Feeling of overcrowding
If you have several of these symptoms, you should definitely contact a medical institution. After examining and passing tests, the doctor will be able to prescribe drugs to treat this disease.
Acid reflux: treatment, folk remediesAcid reflux
Acid reflux is the penetration of hydrochloric acid from the stomach into the upper digestive system. Such a pathology usually manifests itself as heartburn, and many people do not attach much importance to this symptom.
At the border of the transition of the esophagus into the stomach there is a smooth muscle sphincter, which prevents the contents of the stomach from entering the esophagus. If the sphincter is disturbed, a number of painful symptoms arise: frequent hiccups, burning in the epigastric region, sensation of acid or bitterness in the oral cavity. But how to treat acid reflux? This is what traditional treatment should be, read on.
Worth knowing: The choice of treatment for acid reflux depends on the degree of development of the disease. In most cases, taking medications prescribed by a gastroenterologist is sufficient.
The drugs that the doctor usually prescribes are divided into several groups:
- H-2 blockers
- Proton pump inhibitors.
The listed drugs reduce the secretion of hydrochloric acid and stop the symptoms of reflux.
Important: In addition to drug treatment of weakened sphincter muscle fibers, there is also surgery. It is prescribed for severe forms of the disease.
Treatment with folk remedies should also be present in the fight against acid reflux, but it should be under the supervision of a doctor and be an addition to the main treatment:
- Among home remedies for the treatment of heartburn, decoctions of herbs are especially popular -chamomile, St. John's wort, wormwood, calendula.
- Quickly relieve symptoms heartburn can sweet applesraw pumpkin seeds or sunflower.
- A glass of warm milk mixed with a spoon of honey - Also a good tool for the prevention of acid reflux and relieve painful symptoms.
Acid reflux lends itself well to therapy, but it must be properly selected. Do not self-medicate, contact a highly specialized doctor - a gastroenterologist.
What foods can not be eaten with acid reflux: listAcid reflux
Acid reflux is a disease in which symptoms such as heartburn, coughing attacks, damage to tooth enamel, chest pain are observed. In the initial stages, the disease is treated with a diet. What foods can not be eaten with acid reflux? With this pathology, it is worth excluding some foods from the diet. Here is the list:
- Chocolate, especially black.
- Strong tea and coffee, energy drinks.
- Milk and its products. This includes hard cheese, as it is difficult to digest and can cause heartburn.
- Juices based on acidic fruits or berries affect acidity and are undesirable in reflux.
- Spices, seasonings.
- Spicy dishes and foods and spices. Especially garlic, ginger and onions.
- Alcohol, and especially dry wines, and containing a large amount of alcohol - vodka, whiskey, moonshine and so on. Small doses of alcohol are acceptable for this disease, but strong drinks should be avoided.
- High fat foods. From fast food to meat (pork, lard, sausage) and milk with a fat content of 3.2 percent.
- Fried foods - all fried foods are excluded.
- Carbonated drinks and mineral water cause acid to enter your throat, so you should not drink them.
- Smoked products (sausages, meat, cheeses, fish).
- Foods high in enzymes.
- Products containing preservatives or flavorings.
- All kinds of butter products.
- Sauces (ketchup, mayonnaise).
- Sweet (confectionery).
- Mint. When consumed, acid may rise in the throat.
If you study this list, you would think that all food is banned, but it is not. You can porridge, boiled lean meat (chicken, lamb, rabbit, turkey), as well as vegetables and fruits, but in boiled or baked form. In general, the rules of proper nutrition will help to cure the disease and feel healthy and full of strength.
Acid reflux in an infant prevents breathing - how to treat: tips, tricksAcid reflux prevents the baby from sleeping
Most parents experience reflux in their first year of life. The process of throwing part of the absorbed food from the stomach into the oral cavity is quite typical for newborns. The phenomenon of regurgitation for this age period is due to the physiological structure of the internal organs. Most often, this does not require additional treatment, disappears as they grow older. However, such a process can cause discomfort for the crumbs, problems with weight gain, create dangerous situations during sleep, and interfere with free breathing.
The signs of this pathology in newborns cannot be confused with anything else. But to find out if acid reflux is the cause of regurgitation, you need to know the most common symptoms:
- The return of absorbed food from the stomach to the oral cavity.
- Unpleasant sensations when eating or swallowing.
- Accompanying burping fluid.
- Inadequate weight gain.
- The body temperature remains within normal limits.
Remember: Only a pediatrician should prescribe the treatment of acid reflux in an infant whose pathology interferes with eating, breathing, sleeping properly. Self-medication is dangerous!
But you can alleviate the condition of the child. If the symptoms are caused by non-pathological changes in the child’s body, the following rules will effectively help cope with regurgitation:
- While feeding attention must be paid to the proper fit of the chest to the mouth. Do not allow the baby to swallow air with food. With artificial feeding, the nipple should be selected strictly according to size.
- Do not overfeed the baby. Let the meals become more often, but smaller in volume.
- After the baby has eaten, you need to hold it in an upright position for 3-5 minutes. During this time, he will be able to burp air from the stomach, while all the food will remain inside.
- Analyze Your Nursing Mother's Diet. Some foods may contribute to increased digestive irritation.
- During sleep, the baby is best laid on its side. This situation will not allow the baby to choke on his own vomiting, if any.
- Many experts advise to thicken food with instant rice porridge. and eliminate cow's milk.
If you experience any suspicious symptoms, it is important to consult a pediatrician. Only a complete diagnosis is able to diagnose and coordinate further actions of parents.
Acid reflux during pregnancy: complications, treatmentPregnant Acid Reflux
An unpleasant pregnancy companion can be acid reflux. This is an unpleasant state of the body, when for some reason an aggressive fluid is released from the stomach into the lower esophagus, it can be a real problem for a future mother.
Such a pathology in pregnant women is manifested by the following conditions:
- Bitter burp
- Change in taste
- Pain when swallowing
- Bad breath
The following can provoke the appearance of such a disease in a woman who has a baby:
- Impaired gastrointestinal motility due to toxicosis - nausea, vomiting, lack of appetite.
- Excessive increase in gastric secretion.
- Weakening of the protective mechanisms of the esophagus.
- Smoking - the expectant mother must stop smoking, not only in order not to harm the embryo developing in her womb, but also to stop the development of acid reflux, which occurs in 90 percent of pregnant women who smoke.
- Overweight - you need to monitor weight, do not overeat.
- Improper nutrition.
- Elevated levels of progesterone.
- High abdominal pressure.
Among the complications are often observed:
- Coughing spells
- Feeling of suffocation
- Hoarse voice
Worth knowing: Rare, but very serious consequences for pregnant women can be anemia and a significant lesion of the mucosal surface of the esophagus, leading to bleeding.
Treatment of acid reflux in pregnant women should be under the supervision of a doctor:
- After a full examination and assessment of the digestive system by specialists, a woman is prescribed drug therapy.
- To alleviate the condition, alginates, prokinetics, histamine blockers, antacids are used.
- The action of these substances is aimed at reducing the aggressiveness of hydrochloric acid, reducing the acidity of gastric juice, reducing the amount of secretion produced.
Any disease is better to prevent in advance than to eliminate the consequences. Pregnant women are prone to acid reflux due to changes in the body. A good prevention will be a healthy sleep, refusal of bad habits, adherence to a sparing diet, exclusion of foods that increase acidity from the diet.
Panic attack in a dream, provoked by acid reflux: how to get rid?Panic attack in a dream, provoked by acid reflux
Reflux esophagitis and nocturnal panic attacks alone are serious illnesses. But if these pathologies combine, then the patient’s condition worsens significantly.
Medication with these ailments usually does not give positive results, and sometimes only exacerbates the situation. The patient has to learn to live with these conditions and try to regulate them. There is only one way to do this: change your lifestyle and diet.
Important: With acid reflux, you need to adhere to the basic rule: eat often, but in small portions. Never overeat! Food should be easy to digest. Dinner should be 3-4 hours before going to bed. It is advisable to sleep with a raised headboard.
Above the text is a list of prohibited foods. Below you will find a general list of allowed and prohibited products in order to better remember. So, in order to get rid of a panic attack in a dream provoked by acid reflux, you should abandon the following:
- Carbonated drinks
- Fried, spicy, salty
- Refined products.
Enter the following foods in the menu:
- Any vegetables are green and garden greens (lettuce, broccoli, cauliflower, dill, parsley, celery and others).
- Fish, seafood.
- Chicken and turkey meat.
- Oatmeal and brown rice.
In this case, treatment with folk remedies is excellent. Make decoctions, cook syrups without sugar, for example, with honey, as well as infusions of such herbs:
- Dandelion - syrup, jam, decoctions.
- Celery - you can make juice.
- Dill - infusion.
- Flaxseed - infusion.
- Melissa - decoction, infusion.
- Licorice - in any form.
- Moderate sports
- Music therapy
All these tools will improve the condition of the digestive tract and have a beneficial effect on the nervous system and psyche. This will help in the fight against panic attacks.
Important: At first, be prepared for the fact that at night you can wake up from the unpleasant sensations caused by reflux or under the influence of a panic attack.
To do this, make herbal tea with motherwort, chamomile, lemon balm or mint in the evening and force yourself to drink in case of an unpleasant awakening. Herbs will help relieve discomfort in the digestive system and calm an excited psyche.
With the right diet and exercises with the recommended techniques, the patient’s condition will gradually normalize, and all the unpleasant sensations and fears will eventually be left behind. Do not forget to follow the doctor's recommendations, and soon, you will forget about your pathology. Good luck