The ability to speak well is not given to everyone. But this is not a problem - you can learn everything with a desire.
Public speaking leads a person to success. You do not have to be an announcer, host, guide, professor, to apply your skill. If an individual is able to clearly express his thoughts, then the people around him form a positive opinion about him. As a rule, such interlocutors do not arrange disputes, clearly convey their thoughts to others, convincing them of their rightness, thanks to relevant arguments.
How to learn to speak and express your thoughts beautifully and competently: 10 best tips and rules
Correct, clear speech with a change in intonation is a good practice to win opponents. If you possess such art, you can not only promote your business well, but also achieve great heights in political activity.
It is good when, starting from a young age, parents give lessons in the development of speech, teach their kids to correctly pronounce words with their own example. If there wasn’t such a chance in childhood, don’t be upset, you can learn oratory yourself. The main thing is to follow these tips:
- Read the literature, replenish your vocabulary. It is from this that it is necessary to begin preparations for speaking in public. It does not hurt to learn a dictionary of synonyms. It is not aesthetically pleasing to use the same expressions very often in the text of your speech. It is advisable to replace them with similar phrases.
- To prepare a presentation, try to pick up examples of lectures similar in meaning. Pay attention to TED. Here you can find your favorite speakers. Evaluate their performances, try to notice the little things. Analyze the gestures of opponents.
- Learn to write texts yourself. Rehearse in front of the mirror, recount these stories. To train your imagination, logic, compose small stories from given words.
- Record your speech on a video or voice recorder. Listen to what you got. Correct errors of diction and pronunciation of words, defects in the text.
- Expressiveness, figurativeness of speech are trained when reading poetry. Moreover, such works are best taught by heart. It perfectly helps to convey emotions, thoughts in a particular speech, to highlight the main thing.
- Adjust your pace of speech. Too fast sayings, not all opponents understand. If you worry, then your performance will fail. Also control the timbre of the voice. Trembling, loudly pronounced phrases can annoy the listener and not be correctly perceived by them.
- Inappropriate facial expressions, too broad gestures are perceived by the audience, at least strange. Therefore, train in front of the mirror in advance. And in public, control your body movements.
- The main priority in this matter is diction. All speech defects can be eliminated by hard work and exercises. Speech therapists deal with even the most neglected cases.
IMPORTANT: In general, the process of improving one's professionalism in oratory consists of three main components: a clear pronunciation of phrases, an increase in the vocabulary, work on speech errors, and their corrections.
How to work on your speech: exercises
It is a pity that sometimes there are cases when the individual has a huge vocabulary and has the ability to behave in front of the public, but there is no purity of speech. More precisely, the speaker swallows the letters and does not pronounce them articulate, or even worse pronounces sounds, etc. In such cases, he needs to consult a speech therapist who will prescribe a series of exercises. And the person thanks to perseverance will be able to achieve a good result. After all, no one will listen to the leading radio station, which cannot correctly pronounce half the letters of the alphabet.
During a conversation in public, your breath should be correct, then there will be no unfinished phrases or prolonged pauses. This greatly distorts the spoken phrases. In other words, in order not to stutter, breathe in a special way. Use air economically, inhale oxygen on time. For this, training is recommended, you need to learn how to breathe using the diaphragm.
- Usefulexercise - learn to speak texts as you exhale. To do this, first break the expressions into small phrases, pronounce them on the exhale. Next, take a short breath and say the next part of the phrase. On the next exhale, speak the whole sentence without breaking it into phrases. Practice breathing calmly without sharp breaths. Such training will balance your breathing and your speech will be even.
- Train your speech by pronouncing words at a different pace. Do it quickly, and then slowly, clearly, paying attention to how you speak. The mirror will help you with this.
- Say tongue twisters, make sure that all sounds are clear without errors. If it doesn’t work the first time, then try to pronounce them until it comes out.
- Then focus on different consonants. Say with emphasis first on some consonants, then on others.
- Learn to talk with nuts in your mouth so that it feels as if nothing is bothering you. Do this exercise with care not to choke.
After the above exercises, you need to practice the correct pronunciation of phrases. It is carried out as follows:
- Record your speech on the recorder.
- Listen to her, critically evaluate the quality.
- Let others appreciate your report and point out errors.
- No offense, compare all opinions, highlight the shortcomings, correct them.
Pay attention to what errors happen most often in the pronunciation of phrases:
- Incorrect pronunciation: e, and, a, o, i, u, etc. (vowels unstressed sounds).
- Skipping some consonants.
- "Eating" of vowels.
- Misuse of consonants (not in that order).
- Incorrect pronunciation: s, w, w, w, h, w, c.
- Fuzzy pronunciation of soft consonants.
A speech therapist will immediately point out all the flaws in the speaker’s speech. It will tell you how to fix errors. Do not be shy to contact them if necessary. Sometimes it is impossible to cope with the problem on your own with all the desire.