How much weight do you need to gain during pregnancy? What should be the diet of a pregnant woman?
Our grandmothers believed that a pregnant woman should eat for two. And the faster she gains weight, the better. Modern doctors do not agree with this statement. They believe that the expectant mother should pay attention not to quantity, but to the quality of food. Because extra pounds are always harmful, regardless of whether a woman carries a child or not.
What is the weight of a pregnant woman?
Birth weight - from 3 to 3.5 kg. Why, bearing a baby, we gain much more? Weight gain consists of many quantities. Including fat, which the female body stores for the baby in case of hunger or cold. But this fat should not be too much, because this weight will only be a burden.
The ideal increase that a future mother should gain for all nine months is 10-12 kg. Here is how this weight is distributed:
- 3.5 kg - baby's body. This is almost a third of the total increase
- 600-700 g - placenta. She nourishes and protects the embryo
- 800-1000 g - amniotic fluid. At first there are not many, but by the end of pregnancy their volume can reach 1 liter
- 1 kg - uterus and fetal membranes. But before pregnancy, the weight of this small organ was only 500 g!
- 1.2-1.3 kg is the volume of circulating blood. Her amount increases in the mother so that she can supply the baby with everything necessary
- 400-500 g - mammary tissue. The female breast is preparing to perform the function of lactation, and therefore also grows in size
- 3.5-3.6 kg - body fat. This is the very “useful” fat that is stored physiologically. It not only protects the baby from the cold and insures against hunger, but also has a positive effect on lactation
- 1.4-1.7 kg - intracellular fluid. These are fluid stores in the body. They help increase blood volume, form amniotic fluid, help start lactation
When does a pregnant woman begin to gain weight?
A pregnant woman does not begin to gain weight right away. On the contrary, in the early stages of pregnancy, she can even lose weight. Often this happens due to toxicosis, which does not allow the expectant mother to fully eat. Do not panic. In the next two trimesters, you will get yours.
How much weight should a pregnant woman gain before giving birth?
10-12 kg - this is the average increase for the entire period of pregnancy. Most of this weight is in the second half of the term. It is then that a woman can gain 250-300 g per week. There are factors that can change these numbers. That's what the doctor pays attention to when assessing the weight of the expectant mother.
- The initial body weight. If you had a shortage of body weight before pregnancy, then for 9 months you should not only gain the required 10-12 kg, but also make up for the shortage. As a result, the overall increase will be more.
- Features of the constitution. If before pregnancy you tried unsuccessfully to recover, then, most likely, the increase will go slowly.
- Increased appetite. We are accustomed to ironic over the food quirks of pregnant women. But they can also cause uncontrolled bulimia.
- Toxicosis in the early stages. If you took off a couple of kilograms in the first trimester, then the body can “play it safe” and gain more “spare” kilograms
- Baby size Naturally, a large baby by itself weighs more. But such a baby’s weight can cause the placenta to be larger too.
- Age. The older the woman, the greater the likelihood that she will have a tendency to be overweight.
Pregnancy Weight Gain
Different doctors have different estimates of the weight gain of a pregnant woman in the second half of pregnancy. Some people think that 250-300 g is the norm. Excess can give a signal about the appearance of problems: obesity, edema and others.
Others believe that starting at 30 weeks, a woman should gain 50 g per day. When recalculating for a week, fluctuation is allowed: 300-400 g. But the increase per month should not be more than 2 kg.
To calculate the individual weight gain in the last trimester, you can use the formula. The maximum increase is 22 g, multiplied by every 10 cm of growth. It turns out that for a height of 170 cm this figure is 374 g.
Pregnant weight table by week
The table below shows the table of the norm of weight gain for a pregnant woman. Where BMI is body mass index.
Overweight during pregnancy: causes
Most often, conservative women gain weight during pregnancy, who believe that a future mother should not play sports and lead an active lifestyle, but you can eat a lot. The causes of excess weight during pregnancy are the same as in ordinary life. This is overeating and lack of physical activity.
If you overeat constantly, the body will become deaf to the feeling of fullness. Hunger will occur much earlier than you spend the stored calories. As a result, you will eat more often, the portions will become larger. This can only be controlled by willpower.
Remember that if you have been overweight before, you should not gain more than 10 kg. If the doctor diagnosed your obesity, then the maximum increase will be only 6 kg.
Pregnant diet for weight loss: nutrition rules
If you follow a universal diet for pregnant women, this should be enough. Any expectant mother, regardless of whether she is overweight or not, can not eat a lot of fried, sweet, fatty meat.
Divide your diet into 5 meals. Dinner should be only 10% of all meals. Moreover, it should be a light dish. It should be eaten no later than 2 hours before bedtime.
What should a pregnant woman eat in order for her weight to be normal?
- Replace white bread with baked goods from wholemeal. Better if it is dried.
- Avoid baking from puff pastry and pastry.
- Cook soups on a secondary broth or vegetable broth.
- Increase the proportion of complex carbohydrates (cereals), decrease the proportion of simple carbohydrates (sweets).
- Eat more fish, but avoid canned food, crab sticks or smoked meats.
- Lay on vegetables, fruits, berries. Dress salads with vegetable oil, but not with mayonnaise or sour cream.
- Remember that you should not starve. Feeling of hunger can trigger an emergency mechanism in the embryo.
- After birth, the baby’s body, remembering the constant lack of nutrients, will store as much fat as possible. So you can develop a child's tendency to obesity.
Why does a pregnant woman not gain or lose weight?
Sometimes weight loss during pregnancy is not a cause for concern. For example, if you suffer from early toxicosis, it is better to try to wait out this period than to choke on food that does not climb.
Losing weight in the later stages may indicate that you are swelling. In this case, too, do not worry. Weight loss in the last weeks of pregnancy may relate to precursors of childbirth. Complex processes occur in the body. Against their background, appetite may disappear.
Pregnant nutrition to gain weight
- Sometimes you don’t want to eat because you have been at home all day. Take a walk in the fresh air, do gymnastics, and your appetite will appear.
- Vitamin C increases appetite. Talk to your doctor. Perhaps he will advise you to eat ascorbic acid half an hour before meals.
- Eat more complex carbohydrates. Weight comes precisely from them. These are cereals, healthy pastries, bread rolls.
- Instead of dessert, eat nuts with dried fruits. This is a healthy and nutritious snack.
- Do not forget to drink vitamins. Sometimes a lack of a substance can block the absorption of food.