In this article, we will look at how to paint a jacket at home in several ways, and give recommendations regarding the care and choice of paint.
Every woman of fashion and every guy has a leather jacket. And if it is not, then you need to urgently correct the situation! Parisians consider her an eternal classic, which always helps to look young. She not only makes the image stylish and irresistible, but also worn remarkably. This aspect applies only to leather jackets, and not leather products. How to properly paint a leather jacket at home and restore its original appearance, we will consider in this material.
How to choose a dye for a leather jacket: recommendations
If you want to dye the jacket in a different color or restore the old tone, then take note of the dyes listed below. And their properties and methods of application, we will consider a little later.
- At home, you can paint a leather jacket:
- liquid paint;
- spray paint;
- dry powder;
- You will also need an acrylic fixative, but it can also be prepared at home.
- Pay attention to some nuances when choosing a paint:
- should include wax. This is a natural material that helps to eliminate scuffs and even small cracks. And it softens the skin and gives it shine;
- mink oil It is considered an ideal component for the care of a leather product, thanks to it, the life of the jacket is significantly extended;
- seal fat acts as the best water-repellent impregnation;
- lanolin nourishes and protects the skin from temperature extremes, and also acts as a prevention of dry skin;
- peanut butter Allows your product to always look smooth. But it can be replaced with cheaper analogues, like petroleum jelly or glycerin;
- olive oil or jojoba oil also take care of your favorite jacket.
- The most natural and high-quality colors for jackets are produced by Saphir, a French manufacturer. The choice of coloring pigments is simply huge, and the quality of painting corresponds to the premium class. This paint includes all the necessary natural ingredients.
- If you decide to purchase an inexpensive option for skin paint, then carefully study the composition. Remember - the paint should not have a pungent or pungent odor!
- Also keep in mind that it should dry quickly and absorb well. This indicates its quality.
If you want to improve store paint a little, then it will not hurt to add one or more natural ingredients. We have provided a list above. But no more than 0.5-1 tsp. total amount.
How to clean and prepare a leather product for painting?
You can’t just start dyeing your jacket without cleaning it from dust and dirt. Do not forget that such a thing cannot be machine washed. Otherwise, it will decrease in size and become coarse.
Important: Products may already be with a protective layer. Before painting it will need to be removed, otherwise the pigment will not seize! To check this, dip the jacket or part of it in water. The protective layer will not allow moisture to penetrate into the skin.
- To remove the protective layer, you need to gently rub the jacket with sandpaper. Just take the fine-grained material and carry out the entire movement gently and accurately so as not to damage the skin itself.
- The sore spot of most leather jackets is ink marks. They can be removed with an acetic-alcohol mixture. To do this, mix the components in equal proportions and wipe the necessary areas with a sponge.
- Grease stains also do not forget to remove. This can be done with gasoline or ammonia. Moisten a cotton pad and wipe the greasy area well.
Note: Minor scuffs and scratches will help mask the juice from an orange. Squeeze a few drops of orange juice from the skin and wipe the skin.
- In no case do not soak the jacket completely! It only needs to be wiped with a damp sponge. Water should be taken only a little warm.
- You can buy special skin cleansers at the store or arm yourself with laundry soap. By the way, it contains natural components and does not leave stains on things. 200 g of water will require 20 g of soap chips.
- You can add another in soapy water and 1 tbsp. l turpentine. Or use glycerin, but increase its dose 3 times. Dampen the sponge in such a solution and wipe the jacket completely.
- For dark colors, lemon juice diluted with water will be an ideal cleanser. Proportions should be taken in equal amounts. Also wipe the jacket with a damp sponge.
- Also remember to walk along the inside. Wipe the lining with soapy liquid, adding 1-2 tbsp. l ammonia. Its amount depends on the degree of pollution.
- By the way, alcohol will fatten the surface of the skin and help better staining. Therefore, it does not hurt to wipe the jacket with alcohol or an alcohol towel.
- Dry the product in a well-ventilated area and only on the coat hanger. This will help to avoid deformation. Proceed with staining after the jacket has completely dried.
Before painting, the jacket must be cleaned.
Important: Do not forget about additional lighting in the workplace. This will help to avoid sudden transitions or unpainted areas.
How to dye a leather jacket with liquid paint: instructions
Thanks to this paint, you can carry out a complete restoration of the jacket! By the way, all seams, pockets or other small and hard-to-reach parts can also be carefully painted. The choice of liquid paint is very impressive. But on the shelves of the store primary colors are sold - brown and black. It remains only to catch the tone. But with bright shades, a little addition - they will need to be ordered only via the Internet.
- The jars of some manufacturers come with a soft sponge. If there is no such thing, then arm yourself with an ordinary kitchen sponge. And be sure to wear gloves!
Important: Give preference to oil-based paints! Or at least choose a composition that is close to natural ingredients. It is the oils that provide softness of the skin, gloss of the product and greater resistance to painting.
- A jacket usually requires 2 tubes, but it also depends on their volume. On average, a jacket needs 100-150 g of paint. Again, the degree of scuffing affects. Check the paint on an inconspicuous part of the product beforehand! If the shade is suitable, then only get to work.
- Pour the contents of the tube into enameled or glass container. In no case can you take aluminum containers, since the oxidation process is possible. And this will spoil both the bowl and the paint.
- If you chose regular liquid paint, then add a couple drops of castor oil. This will give extra softness to the skin after drying.
- Lay the jacket on a flat surface, previously covering it with paper or a waterproof cloth.
- Dip the washcloth in the paint and apply it in small portions on the jacket. Circular motions rub pigment into the product.
- Take your time, carefully work out every centimeter. And make sure that the paint goes evenly, and the tone is the same.
- Too shabby places should be walked twice. And what's convenient - you can easily dye your collar and cuffs.
- Next, broadcast the jacket on your shoulders and leave to dry. When it dries, go over the jacket with a dry cloth made of natural fabric to smooth out all the roughness. Drying liquid paint will take at least 2 hours.
- If there is an excessive gloss on the paint, then rinse with water and wipe dry. Or use a fixing layer. It will also remove a little shine.
Important: It is forbidden to dry the jacket near the battery or a hairdryer. High temperatures will crack paint.
- To keep the paint better, be sure to go over fixing layer. To do this, mix:
- 2 tbsp. l salts;
- 5 tbsp. l vinegar
- 1 liter of water.
- Take water at room temperature. Dampen the sponge in the resulting liquid and walk along the surface of the jacket. To remove the smell of vinegar, dry the product in fresh air.
How to dye a jacket in the easiest way using an aerosol: tips and tricks
It is immediately worth noting that such a paint is very convenient to use, a small amount of coloring substances is consumed, and covers the jacket with a very thin layer. Moreover, you yourself can easily control the thickness of the paint. But there is one flaw - it is suitable only for light tinting and requires regular updates.
- In addition to preparing the jacket for painting, you also need to choose the right aerosol. Spray cans fill both store shelves and lists of websites. Choose the right shade, as transitions may be noticeable. And keep in mind such a pattern - a lighter jacket can be painted in tones a little darker than the previous color.
- Consider the material of your jacket. Aerosol distribution also follows these criteria. Sprays for suede, nubuck and smooth skin are sold separately. For a short jacket, a minimum of 2 cylinders will be required, and for an elongated thing, consumption will double.
- Choose the right place - it should be well ventilated area. Ideally, do this procedure on the street. The bottle often emits a pungent and unpleasant odor. And in confined spaces paint fumes can cause headaches and dizziness, as well as poisoning. It does not hurt to wear a respirator or disposable mask.
- And, of course, do not lose sight of such a nuance that the spray can stain other objects around. Alternatively, you can use the garage, but pre-cover other necessary things. Do not forget about the floor, it does not hurt to cover newspapers or polyethylene.
- Be sure to wear gloves! If you do not want to paint your fingers with a jacket. By the way, sometimes such a paint can cause burning and redness on the skin.
Spray painting should be done outdoors or in a garage
Important: Whenever possible, cover the zippers with duct tape. Otherwise, they will be painted. But the buttons will need to be cut off. Otherwise, they interfere with uniform coloring! If the buttons are tightly fixed, then cover them with tape and carefully outline with an aerosol.
- Hang the jacket on your shoulders. And be careful not to form bends or folds. This will adversely affect the quality of the paint. Also note that the bottom of the product must not touch the floor or other surface. Otherwise, it threatens to erase the paint from below. The minimum limit must be at least 20 cm from any surface.
- Keep the balloon at a distance of 20-25 cm. This will allow a thin and even coat. The closer you hold the bottle, the thicker the paint will go. And this can cause sagging. Do not forget to shake the vessel.
- Spread the spray evenly across the jacket so that the color is the same in the end. Do not stay long in one area. If at any place there is a spot that differs in color, paint over it in the second circle. But the next coat can be applied no earlier than 15 minutes.
- Particular attention should be paid to the armpits, collar and cuffs. The last two details will not hurt to paint on the inside. In order not to touch the tissue areas, cover them with construction adhesive tape. After drying, it is easily removed.
Important: Paint the jacket with the spray you need strictly from top to bottom! This will help to obtain a uniform color and avoid sagging.
- Aerosols flow more than other colors. Therefore, after 30 minutes you need to walk a small piece of fabric (suitable only velvet or velor) on the surface. So you remove the excess paint. The jacket will dry for about an hour. But consider the manufacturer's firm and layer thickness.
- Although now aerosols are already sold with water-repellent particles, it does not hurt to apply the final layer. This will make the paint more resistant. Can use store fixer. But it is better to give preference to water-based drugs. Although it already depends on your desire - matt or glossy you want to see your jacket.
- If there are any flaws or cracks, go to such places with the usual shoe polish (it is better to use a colorless cream), mastic for furniture or even wax for wood. By the way, they also come in various colors. There is an even simpler method - use beeswax or paraffin.
Painting a jacket with powder paint: instructions
This method seems both simple and complex at the same time. According to this method, it is not so difficult to paint, as it takes a relatively long time to prepare materials. Although painting comes out the most thorough.
- Prepare the jacket properly and choose the right tone for the paint. Soak the jacket in water for 2-3 hours, so that the pores open, and the air leaves them. Otherwise, the paint will be stained.
- Dilute the powder in a small amount of warm (!) Water. Make sure that there are no lumps. Therefore, pour in the powder gradually, mixing thoroughly. Filter the resulting solution through several layers of gauze and mix with 2 liters of water.
- Put liquid on a fire and bring to a boil. Boil for 5 minutes and remove from stove. Chill to a temperature of 35-40 ° C. Note that the water should not be too hot, otherwise the skin will shrink and become rough. And this will affect its softness and elasticity.
- Put the jacket in the solution and leave it for 3-6 hours. Time depends on the desired color saturation. Be sure to periodically turn over and wring the product during this time! Otherwise there will be an uneven tone.
- After this time, take out the jacket and transfer it to clean water. Rinse the product thoroughly. You need to do this several times until until the water is clear.
- This method requires careful fixing. The quantity can be changed from the desired volume of liquid. It will require:
- 1 tbsp. l salts;
- 200 ml of vinegar;
- 1 liter of water.
- Knead well until the salt crystals dissolve. Soak the jacket for a few more hours in such a fixative. The longer you hold the jacket, the more resistant the result will be.
- Jacket only dries in horizontal position! Unfold it and lay it upside down. Leave until water drains completely. The product must also have time to dry. At the very end, you can hang the jacket on your shoulders to even out the material.
How to dye a jacket made of genuine leather: folk methods
There are also folk recipes that help to dye the jacket at home. These components are accessible to everyone and will not cause any harm to the skin.
- Potash and soda ash for brown. The mixture is diluted with water and applied with a thin layer with a brush to the jacket.
- Also, a brown shade of different brightness can be obtained by rubbing tinctures from alder bark into the skin.
- Iron sulfate is suitable for obtaining gray color. It is also diluted with water to a weak consistency and applied with a brush or sponge to the product.
- Raspberry shade can be achieved with tincture of furcocin. Dilute with water and soak the jacket.
- And in combination with brilliant green in equal proportions you get a black and blue color.
- Zelenka will give a green color. For a bright don, 5 ml per 10 l of water is enough.
- Potassium permanganate will make a rich brown shade of the jacket.
- But iodine will give a golden tone to brown.
- Stain will also help to make brown coloring, but in light colors.
- Henna will make the burning red-brown color of the jacket.
- You can also use stamp ink. It can be used as an independent dye, or by adding to the main paint.
- Basma will create a green tint or even rich black.
- Also, black is obtained by soaking rust in vinegar. For such a paint, you need to boil rusty nails in vinegar and leave to infuse for at least 2 weeks. The smell should have time to weather.
- With the help of tea you will get a beige shade.
- But onion peel or chestnut root will make a golden color.
The process of dyeing folk paint
- Dilute liquid components in water to the desired shade. Loose and dry components must be filled with water and bring to a boil. After waiting for complete cooling and strain.
- When the jacket is ready, apply layers of paint. A sponge or brush or piece of woolen cloth is suitable for these purposes. It is advisable to rub the coloring pigment well.
- Pay special attention to cuffs, collars and worn places. Process them first. On average, you should be able to 3-6 layers. The interval between them is 20-30 minutes.
- You can do a little easier and soak the jacket in the finished dye. It is necessary to withstand at least 3-4 hours, periodically turning it over. But you may get irregularities in staining.
- Be sure to use an adhesive layer to make the paint resistant. You can use store-bought products or also home-made ones. And so that the skin is shiny and soft to the touch, do not forget grease the jacket with wax or any natural fat.
How to paint a jacket at home: tips
We have provided full information above how to dye a jacket with different dyes. But arm yourself with some more recommendations that will simplify this process or help to avoid unpleasant situations.
- If you can’t stand the smell of vinegar, then use acrylic fasteners. They can be purchased at any specialized store.
- Fixer only need to be applied. in one direction. This will prevent the formation of stains or chaotic transitions.
- Do not be alarmed if the curing agent begins to foam or leave white streaks. After drying, the jacket will acquire an even tone.
- Fixer will extend the life of the paint, protecting it from burnout and wiping. But remember - you can apply it dry jacket only. Otherwise, the product will become sticky and damaged.
- It is not recommended to use the brush when painting with shop inks, since the layer will be too thick, and as a result, obvious transitions between the sections will be obtained. If you did not find a sponge, use a piece of woolen cloth. Or, each painted area needs to be shaded carefully.
- The jacket needs to be dried only in the natural way! Otherwise, the product may become deformed or even damaged.
- Do not try to radically change color. With dark shades it is impossible to do this, but a lighter tone can only be darkened a little. That is, change the shade. Coloring is carried out with the aim of eliminating defects, and not for cardinally repainting things.
- Lubricate the jacket regularly petroleum jelly or any natural oils to keep skin soft. It also protects from environmental influences and gives shine. As the easiest option, use hand cream.
- Keep the jacket only on the shoulders and without polyethylene. Do not forget - the skin must breathe!