From the article you will learn what procedures are necessary to carry out so that the baby's skin remains clean and healthy? And what needs to be done to avoid diaper rash and scabies?
The dermatological integument of the child as well as the skin of an adult needs constant and proper care. Healthy skin protects the internal organs of a small person from strong mechanical effects, regulates his body temperature and helps the body to be saturated with oxygen.
And since the skin of the baby is very thin and delicate, without appropriate care, they begin to lose all their physiological properties and this immediately affects the well-being of the child. To avoid such problems it is necessary to treat everyday hygiene procedures with all responsibility. Only they will be able to maintain the dermatological integument in a normal state and will prevent the appearance of diaper rash, redness and peeling.
Features of the skin of the newborn
- The skin of a newly born baby is very soft, delicate and velvety to the touch, but in order for it to remain so for a long time, you need to put a lot of effort. And you need to start doing it literally from the first minutes after birth
- The skin of the newborn baby is covered with a protective substance - a cheese-like lubricant. And if earlier it was believed that it should be washed off immediately, then modern obstetricians and pediatricians recommend leaving the lubricant on the skin until it is completely absorbed.
- Another feature of the dermatological integument is their color. Many caring mothers are afraid of the excessive redness of the skin of the baby. They begin to think that the baby is sick and needs to be treated. But do not worry, redness of the skin is quite common in newborns
- This is due to the fact that young children do not yet have a fat layer and blood vessels are located close enough to the skin. Also, the hanging number of red blood cells in the baby’s blood affects its color.
Approximately on the third day after birth, the lanugo fluff, which covers the back, shoulders and legs, begins to lose its protective properties and the skin dries out. In some cases, it begins to peel off and may even blush even more. This is due to the fact that the sebaceous glands, which are responsible for creating the lipid film, still cannot function properly. It is this film, invisible to the human eye, that helps to maintain moisture to the skin and makes them soft and elastic.
Baby Skin Care Rules
As already understood from the above, very often young mothers mistakenly accept normal physiological processes for skin problems. But over time, when the baby grows up a little, you need to be quite careful about all kinds of rashes and redness. After all, what is the norm for a newborn baby may turn out to be an unpleasant problem for a two-month-old baby.
Over time, the skin of a small person begins to function in the same way as in an adult. Therefore, it is very important to conduct daily hygiene procedures for the child. If this is not done, then irritation may appear on the epidermis, which will prevent the child from sleeping normally, eating and walking
Basic care rules:
• If you do not want the baby to injure himself, then periodically cut off his nails. In the first months of life, special scratches can be worn on the baby’s arms
• Buy only the highest quality skin care products. Before you pay for your favorite cream or soap, be sure to carefully study the label. It will be better if the composition of children's cosmetics will be the maximum amount of natural substances
• For bathing and washing, use soaps without dyes and perfumes. Such a cosmetic product will have a minimal effect on the dermatological integument.
• If mom has inflamed wounds or a fungal infection on her hands, it would be better if a healthy person, such as dad or grandmother, is engaged in hygiene procedures
How to wash your baby?
The body of a small person is quite easily influenced by the environment. Therefore, if you do not want to infect a child with an infection, then put your hands in order before starting the washing process. Wash them thoroughly with soap and water and pat dry with a towel. When your handles are completely dry, you can start the baby's hygiene procedures.
In order for the washing process to be comfortable for both you and your child, make sure that everything you need is at your fingertips. To begin, boil water and pour it into a small bowl. When the water has cooled a little, bring it closer to the changing table. Place cotton pads and baby oil here. When everything is ready, put it on the changing table of the baby and start washing it.
Recommendations that will help to wash the baby correctly:
• Wash your eyes. Moisten a cotton pad in warm water and wipe the baby’s eyes with smooth movements. Start moving from the outside, and finish inside. After clearing one eye, repeat the procedure with the second
• We clean our nose. At the next stage, we begin to tidy up the nose. We make a thin flagellum from a cotton pad, moisten it in water and begin to gently scroll it in the nostril. Just don’t need to stick it too far, if the child is prevented from breathing something, then you can get it without any problems
• Tidy up the ears. Sulfur from the ear goes all the same cotton flagellum. We take the device and begin to scroll in the area of the external auditory ear. You do not need to push the tourniquet further, with such actions you will only push the sulfur deeper and over time it may turn into a cork that will prevent the baby from hearing normally
• We cleanse the skin of the face, neck and behind the ears. We moisten a cotton pad in water and wipe skin with smooth, gentle movements. We wait until they dry out a little and process them with baby oil
How to bathe a baby?
Usually newborn babies love to swim. Indeed, in a similar environment they were all the time until they were born. If the child does not bother, and he is not sick, then such a procedure will help him calm down and even fall asleep. If you have any doubts that you can complete this task, contact your mother or older sister for help. They will tell you everything and show you, and over time you will be able to bathe your favorite child yourself.
This procedure can be carried out immediately after discharge from the hospital. Bathing will have to be postponed only if the child was vaccinated against tuberculosis on the same day. But the very next day you can safely bathe your son or daughter.
• Install the baby bath and pour it into warm water. If you want, you can add a decoction of chamomile, string or lavender
• Undress the child and gently place him in the water, while holding his head with his left hand
• First, just water the little person’s body with water. If he likes it, you can proceed to cleansing the skin with cosmetics
• First we begin to wash our neck, shoulders, arms and legs. We pay special attention to folds. Finish swimming with a bath of the head
• In the process of washing your hair, you can give your daughter or son a light massage. This will help the baby relax before bedtime.
• When the baby is completely clean, rinse it with warm water. It should be literally a couple of degrees cooler than the water in the bath
• Then we take the child out of the bath, wrap him in a soft towel or just in a cotton sheet, and wait until the skin is slightly dry
• At the last stage, we treat the baby's dermatological integument with baby cream or oil and dress him in clean, pre-ironed clothes
Sweating and diaper rash in a newborn
Diaper rash and sweating are inflammatory processes on the baby's skin, which are the result of prolonged exposure to the epidermis of moisture and friction. The most important sign that the child started having problems is red, different sized spots that do not have clear boundaries. And if the little man almost does not notice the sweatshirt, then diaper rash gives him a lot of inconvenience. They can peel off, itch and even hurt.
Tips to help prevent diaper rash and prickling:
• Make sure the baby does not overheat
• Periodically arrange skin baths
• Bathe your baby regularly
• Wash your son or daughter after each diaper change
• Maintain a normal temperature
• If you notice irritation, apply a powder on it
• Do not buy baby clothing made from synthetic materials.
Peeling skin in a newborn
Parents and grandparents are waiting with great joy for the birth of a new person. But when, it would seem, all fears are behind, new problems begin to appear. And, although sometimes they do not harm the baby himself, their appearance is very upsetting to mom and dad. Such irritant can become banal peeling of the skin of a newborn.
Seeing him, parents run to the pharmacy, buy a nourishing cream and begin to smear them with a small body. And when they notice that the problem is not going away, they get even more upset. But if they were not worried, but simply consulted by a pediatrician, then they learned that peeling is quite normal. So the skin integrates to the environment. And if you just follow all the rules of hygiene, then over time this problem will disappear on its own.
Causes of peeling of the skin of a newborn:
• Too dry indoor air
• Improper hygiene procedures
• Active fat production
• Natural factors
• Allergic reaction
How to nourish and moisturize the skin of a newborn?
- Due to the fact that in newborn children the sebaceous glands work quite poorly, their skin needs additional nutrition and hydration. Therefore, at home, every loving mom should have a nourishing and moisturizing cream
- Means with a moisturizing effect should be applied to the dermatological integument immediately after hygiene procedures. They help the skin stay soft and smooth. Children's nutritional creams usually perform two functions at once. They simultaneously saturate the epidermis with useful substances and protect it from irritation
- And remember, you can apply cosmetics only on previously cleansed skin. If you notice irritation, diaper rash or sweating and without washing the affected areas, spread them with cream, then with this action you inflicted even more harm on the child. The skin already received a little oxygen, and the oily cream, in general, clogged all the pores
- Therefore, it is very important to adhere to all the rules of hygiene, and even if you are far from home and you do not have the opportunity to wash or wash your baby, before applying a nutrient, wipe the skin with a damp cloth